Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Feather Duster ... molt?

Started by mikerobart, October 06, 2009, 03:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikerobart

My feather duster lost it's head! It's stuck to one of my powerheads  :D. Is this a normal process ? I am finding conflicting information... some stating it's good.. others it's bad! I did not think it was something that molted ? Fill me in here guys!

salvini55

Im pretty sure i read that if a duster sheds its tentical crown it is not getting enough food. New crowns grow back but maybe only a few times befor it bites the dust. In a few weeks it should regenerate a new crown.

sdivell

Quote from: salvini55 on October 06, 2009, 03:51:48 PM
Im pretty sure i read that if a duster sheds its tentical crown it is not getting enough food. New crowns grow back but maybe only a few times befor it bites the dust. In a few weeks it should regenerate a new crown.

+1 - not enough food. 

mikerobart

Thanks guys, when it regrows I'll know what to do

Hookup

also, if you pick them up, move them, pick them up, move them, pick them up, move them, pic... you get the idea.. do that about a dozen times in 2days... they'll lose there head... not saying the final place where my wife picked is a bad place, no, it's darn near perfect now honey... ;)

mikerobart

Well, mine has not moved since the day I got it.. placed it and it quickly grew into the rock and seemed happy other than when the wrasse ( damned wrassed) scared him... I guess I have been feeding less cyclopeeze and reef roids lately to try to reduce my algae a bit maybe he was starved.

salvini55

Try a liquid phyto suppliment, it may help....

jimskoi

Typically when a feather duster dies, it will protrude out of the tube and will lay
limp. Otherwise, you can physically grab the tube and feel in the base. The worm,
in reaction, will tense up so you can feel if it's still alive. If the base where the
worm is feels mushy, then the worm has died and you should remove it from the
aquarium at that time.
Although your feather duster may appear to be dead, a feather duster losing an
appendage and 'playing dead' is common. When threatened, a feather duster will,
in self defense pop its head off. This will give the predator the impression that the
worm has died. Normally within about 2 weeks, the feather duster will re-grow the
feathery appendage and will reappear. When it does reappear, the feathery
appendage will be smaller in size, but with time, will grow back to its former
brilliance.
Feather Dusters

Im pretty sure its not the lack of food.Its them growing.Just like a shrimp sheds its skin.
I have had them for years and they always seem to do this and they have never died.

mikerobart

Thanks Jim I will try to feel up my feather duster  ;D

Vincenzo.

collect det and make it a new tube :D