Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Powerhead mods.

Started by Vincenzo., October 10, 2009, 11:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vincenzo.

today i was trying to figure out how to mod my Koralia Nano. So i decided to get out the cutters and cut the front cage out. I left 1 piece on because it holds the pin in place. after the Mod i noticed that it's pumping out 2 times the amount it did before. it's unbelievable actually.

but what i wanted to ask was...
has anyone have any maxi jet mods with the Sure Flow? what you think about them?
is it worth it?

anyone know of any others?

mikerobart

used to have a mj1200 with the sure flow and magnet... thing had so much flow there was only one way I could put it in my 90 without driving lps crazy

salvini55

I just picked up the sure flow for my 1200 and its crazy, I bought a buble tip today and it got sucked into it.....! im not too happy bout that. It already made my jawfish jump out the tank its soo much flow.

Snider82

i was thinking of getting the sure flow mod for me MJ1200.  its already DIY moded and it pumps nicly.  but i like the idea of having the power head peice on it.

White Lightning

I've had the sure flow on my MJ 1200 for the last few months and it certainly increases the flow quite dramatically. I actually have to place it so that the water is pushed out behind my liverock. Otherwise I find that it's too much flow for the corals. I too once had a sebae nem get sucked into it. Lasted a litttle longer than your Kev...three whole days. Best $60 I ever did spend.

mikerobart

Yeah that's why I sold mine it was nearly too much! I'm sure sps would be happy but the one powerhead on it's own was doing 20x+ in the 90gallon and driving the lps crazy I had pretty poor polyp extension in lps but the fish loved it.

I think if you need serious, non-random flow the mj mod is pretty hard to beat. Don't underestimate the power though... my yellow tang (which may have already been weakened.. it defense of the powerhead  ) got sucked onto the side and it put some serious imprints in the side of the tang .. eventually contributing to it's death.

salvini55

I have a hard time finding the right placment for it. I may change it to the 1400gph impeller

mikerobart

Yeah originally I had the 2100 maxi mod and a normal mj1200 + my return for flow but it was too hard to place and have all the corals mostly happy.

Sold the mod, and went with 2xk3's. Thinking of adding a 3rd as I start to try a bit of sps but I still like my lps and so does the boss so it's not going anywhere so it will be a compromise. Not sure if it's best to get another k3 or maybe a k4. Of course, if I upgraded in the future the best thing going right now seems to be the ecotech's but I just can't justify that kind of expense right now when I can meet the needs of the corals for much less. It's on the dream tank list along with a sfiligoi pendant  :D, rimless starphire glass tank ... it goes on.

I definitely think you'd be happy with the 1400 gph that's still some pretty good flow and the algae-free mod kit is pretty damn decent looking in the tank as well.. especially with the magnet holder.

bongo

how much is the upgrade compared to simply buying a bigger Korelia?

mikerobart

The Korallia that would compare in terms of flow ( although much better power consumption and possibly wider flow.. better overall) would be the magnum 6 maybe $150 CAD ?

Algae- free kit + mj1200 maybe 50 CAD... magnet would make it 80 ish.  Pretty good value was too much flow from one pump for my tank though I needed to spread it out between a few smaller ph's or I would have kept it.

Vincenzo.

i want to get the MJ400 + Mod.

Fishhead89

I did the sureflow mod (MJ 900 with Mod) and a Korilia 3 on the other side of the tank. Great flow.. lots of evaporation though.

Rybren

I did the DIY, drill holes in the impeller cover and cut off the output nozzle mod on a MJ1200.  Even with this simple mod the flow was way too much for my 30G.  I ended up getting another impeller cover and reverting to a stock MJ.
120G Reef

Vincenzo.

there is no such thing as 'too much flow'

Rybren

Vince,

That's an interesting comment.  Why do you think that you can't have too much flow? 

In my case, the fish and SPS loved it, but the LPS and softies were visibly p'd off.  They weren't opening fully and some of the shrooms detatched from their rocks.  After 3 weeks, I gave up and the LPS and softies seemed much happier.

Maybe it's a case too much in the wrong places.  Unfortunately, in a small tank, everything gets hit.
120G Reef

winston199

I have over 6000 gph flow in a 60 gallon and nothing gets beaten by the flow. The flow from the mjs is to direct even with the mods everything always seamed to get beaten by the flow.

fishsticks

I have tons of flow and no issues with anything in the tank :)
200 g ,1 yellow tang,, 1 royal gramma,1 tomato clown,1 percula clown, ,,1 three stripe damsel,2 green cromis,2 scissor cromis, 5 cleaner shrimp,,1 coral bandit shrimp...coral.....

Vincenzo.

Quote from: Rybren on October 12, 2009, 10:43:55 AM
Vince,

That's an interesting comment.  Why do you think that you can't have too much flow? 

In my case, the fish and SPS loved it, but the LPS and softies were visibly p'd off.  They weren't opening fully and some of the shrooms detatched from their rocks.  After 3 weeks, I gave up and the LPS and softies seemed much happier.

Maybe it's a case too much in the wrong places.  Unfortunately, in a small tank, everything gets hit.

^ this means you have stuff incorrectly placed?
i have my tank being blasted. and ive done lots of experiments with placement into direct flow. i had almost 300gph pointed directly at some yumas from about 2'' away, and they where fine. it's all about placement. right now in my 12, but with 9g display i have over 600gph and i still dont think it's enough.

Rybren

Quote from: Vince. on October 12, 2009, 12:12:12 PM
^ this means you have stuff incorrectly placed?

Could be.  But I've removed the PH.

I have 2xk1, skimmer output (driven by MJ600) and output from an old AC HOB filter for flow.  The thing about the MJ1200 mod that I did was that the flow was too concentrated.  Maybe the same flow rate with a different dispersion pattern would have been fine.
120G Reef

Vincenzo.

in all seriousness it's personal preference. everyone's going to place corals differently, and they'll adjust to your system...everyone's systems is diff.