Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

reverse syphon on pump line causing sump to overflow

Started by OttawaReefer, October 13, 2009, 09:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttawaReefer

I had a small power outage this morning and my sump overflowed all over the living room.  Four bath towels later I had it cleaned up and started to check to see what caused it.

I unplugged the pump and watched the overflow drain until it stopped but the water in the sump kept rising...and quickly.  I checked the overflow line again and there was no water coming down, so the only place could have been from the pump line.  I guess as the pump shut off a syphon started in the pump line and just kept bringing in water from the tank.

I'm planning on changing the tube into the tank with a solid PVC tube and put some holes in the top as well with the idea that as the water level drops those holes should break any syphon.  I've attached a quick drawing.  Can anyone see why this wouldn't work to break that syphon?

[attachment deleted by admin]

veron

put a 90elbow at the top just under the water surface. once the power is out the water will stop flowing and you'll have a syphon break.
holes in a pipe will just get clogged at the wrong moment ;) [snail, algea etc.]

OttawaReefer

Quote from: veron on October 13, 2009, 09:36:58 AM
put a 90elbow at the top just under the water surface. once the power is out the water will stop flowing and you'll have a syphon break.
holes in a pipe will just get clogged at the wrong moment ;) [snail, algea etc.]

So.....instead of having the PVC tube go that far down in the tank I should just cut it right below the water level?  Not sure what you mean by having just a 90 elbow.

Maybe like this:

|---
   |   |__
   |
   |
   |

Don't laugh too much at my artistic skills.

veron

you could just cut it and have the flow straight done or add the elbow [as in your pic]
to have the flow across the tank

OttawaReefer

Thanks.  I'll make sure to get this done today.

The wife loves the tank but wasn't so impressed with me screaming for her to thow as many towels as she could find down the stairs.

Hookup

Quote from: OttawaReefer on October 13, 2009, 10:51:31 AM
Thanks.  I'll make sure to get this done today.

The wife loves the tank but wasn't so impressed with me screaming for her to thow as many towels as she could find down the stairs.
LOL number of times i've done that.. well the wife went and bought me special tank-towels...  ::)

Consigliere

All you need is the holes in the pump line like you are showing in your drawing.  As soon as the water line drops below the first hole, air will enter the line and break the siphon.

mikerobart

+1 siphon break holes

Pretty standard stuff I think on many overflows

veron

syphon holes are not fool proof, many forget to clean the algea buildup and snails can park on the holes. best way is to have the elbow just below the surface or cut the pipe just below the surface. ;)

OttawaReefer

The wholes seemed to have worked.  I tested it twice and both times after hitting the first hole it stopped the syphon.  Now I will have to explain to the missus that just a little hole would have prevented the flooding.

lost_at_sea

Quote from: OttawaReefer on October 14, 2009, 05:25:02 PM
The wholes seemed to have worked.  I tested it twice and both times after hitting the first hole it stopped the syphon.  Now I will have to explain to the missus that just a little hole would have prevented the flooding.

Until the next time when a snail decides to park overtop of it :) Murphy is a (blank)

mikerobart

It is true a snail could block the hole, but can always do more than one for peace of mind / fashion a snail guard of some sort or use airline tubing.. a lot of different ways to deal with this if you feel like it.

Canoe

Quote from: veron on October 14, 2009, 12:27:54 PM
syphon holes are not fool proof, many forget to clean the algea buildup and snails can park on the holes. best way is to have the elbow just below the surface or cut the pipe just below the surface. ;)

I've seen many posts at Reef Central about relying upon such holes, then cleaning gets hap-hazard, then you have a failure and a flood, and dead things, and a mess, and maybe flooring or structure to replace. You're on holidays and the neighbor/friend/relative/service comes by once a day to feed/check...

Anyone can engineer something to work, but what happens when one or more components fail? What is the resulting behavior?

Engineer for failure...
... what happens in the system when this fails?
... what happens in the system when this and that fail?
etc., ...

Sure, have the siphon-break holes & mini air/return line feeding to the tank, but have the return just below the surface to limit the amount of flow-back if the siphon-break fails. What else?

beertech

I drilled 2 holes, and have the sump run at a low level so it can contain all the water if the holes were plugged and the pump syphoned. It can only go as far down as the end pump return tube.

Luke_L

go to home depot and get a one way flow valve, the plastic ones should cost about 5 bucks
put it anywhere on the line in or outside the tank.  that way you wont have any issues with sump overflow.

That or get a larger sump that can handle the overflow.
rock on
Luke