Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

2 emerald crabs

Started by jon1985, October 18, 2009, 08:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon1985

I picked up a BTA this weekend that was on a rock.  While I was aclimating the nem I found a fairly large emerald crab, about the size of a toonie including legs.  I already have one about the same size.  Im just wondering if they will get along or not. 

Thanks
Jon

salvini55

I had two, now only one.. They will get along fine no problem. Mine died because one of the left handed hermits ripped off all its legs and arm on one side, It later died.

jon1985

ok great.  I only have small hermits.  After they get to big they go to the fuge until there are to many then to go to the LFS.

OttawaReefer

how big is the BTA if you didn't notice a crab that size on the rock?!?!

jon1985

The BTA is about 5" fully open, but the rock is about 8" around,  very porous and has some pretty deep holes.  He didnt come crawling out until they had been aclimating for some time.

Funkmotor

I had one emerald and he got pretty big and no longer seemed interested in bubble algae.  So I got another one.

The big one proceeded to rip of one claw and three legs on the little one, who was quickly shifted to the fuge to recover.  Once the small one recovered and grew a bit, I put it back in the display and then both of them disappeared.

I can only imagine some sort of mutual-assured-destruction went on and they both were killed as a result.

I've yet to get another one, but when I do it will only be the one.

Cheebs

Ouch... I've got two in my 75 and they get along fine. Sweet hitchhiker either way!

jon1985

Well I got my first one when I started my tank cuz they look cool and I had some GHA starting.  He tore through the GHA like no tomorrow.  Now he eats anything he finds, its funny to watch him push polyps around looking for algea, but he never picks at them.  I have a short peice of PVC tubing with a clip on the end for an algea sheet and he will climb up the rocks and try to jump onto the tube to get out to the algea its pretty funny because as soon as he gets out there the tang knocks him off.

JD

Judging by your description that crab was the smallest in my tank.

I still think they should be fine.

My largest in that tank is easily twice that size.

Oh ottawareefer...I am blind as a bat!!! ;D ;D ;D

jimskoi

When I bring them in.I usually have about 30-50 in the same tank.As long as you feed.They dont bother each other.

sniggir

I have nver had a issue with husbandtree of these crabs...but as jim said if they are not kept fed... crabs are creatures of nesesity...lol man my spelling is horrible... bit anyway as I was saying if not kept fed they will feed them selves.....
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Funkmotor

Quote from: sniggir on October 21, 2009, 09:32:19 PM
husbandtree

Man, I don't want to hijack this thread or anything, but that is hilarious on so many levels.