Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

majano anemone

Started by dakrazyone, October 27, 2009, 12:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dakrazyone

What seemed to be cool at 1st, having about 2 of these lil things, is now becoming annoying.  They multiple rapidly and now i looks like i have 10-15 (all i can see).  Anyone have experience getting rid of them or are they even beneficial to the tank?  Also, read that Joe's Juice seems to work well against them.  Any feedback would be much appreciated  :)

Severum

I would give lemon juice in a syringe a try. Works great on aptaisia.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Contains Moose

I found out by accident that they migrate to the light, if you light one end of the tank high up and darken the room you might get an indication as to how they might move, this isn't going to happen overnight.

I installed a small bulb into a bottle suspended into the tank, they migrated to the bottle an were easily removed.
Joes Juice is a problematic solution .

Once you get them out inject them with lemon juice, stir fry them with some thinly sliced onion and a glass of red wine.

dakrazyone

hmmm sounds interesting.... and quite tasteful :).  I'll definitely give it a try.

veron

what?? that for one could take weeks! so your tank cannot be lit anywere else but the bottle. thats for 99% of the people with reef tanks is NOT an option. and thats NO gaurentee at all. there the same as aptasia and should be treated as such. joices juice,kalk paste,vinager all work.

Hookup

Quote from: Contains Moose on October 27, 2009, 12:51:40 AM

Care to elaborate? 

Funkmotor

I have Majano's in my tank as well.  They glow nicely under actinic, and a stand of 4 or 5 of them looks really nice.

But then it gets to be 20 or 30 of them and you've got a problem.

With Aiptasia, there's lots of stuff you can use to kill them.  They aren't very strong - just very prolific.  With the Majano's I've tried just about everything suggested for Aiptasia and none of it works.  The best results I have had were with a fresh bottle of Joe's Juice (before the good stuff all creeps out of it), but even then they grow back in 2-3 weeks.  And it's not more of them at this point...they come back right where they were before.  It just sort of knocks them down for a bit.

Just as a note, I tried that Red Sea Aiptasia-X stuff on them, and I swear they laughed at it.  (Works wicked on actual Aiptasia, though.)

I'm curious about the lightbulb-in-a-bottle, though.  Even a weak bulb (LED?) in a sealed bottle - left on at night - would make the Majano's want to migrate closer to it.  And, you know, they might just migrate onto it.  I've tried shading some of them to get them to move, and it worked, but they didn't move onto my removable object...just went around it.  But some light might make the difference.  I think I'm going to do it....now just to figure out how.

veron

I've had success with kalk slurry in a syringe 8)

Hookup

Quote from: Funkmotor on October 27, 2009, 12:32:10 PM
I'm curious about the lightbulb-in-a-bottle, though.  Even a weak bulb (LED?) in a sealed bottle - left on at night - would make the Majano's want to migrate closer to it.  And, you know, they might just migrate onto it.  I've tried shading some of them to get them to move, and it worked, but they didn't move onto my removable object...just went around it.  But some light might make the difference.  I think I'm going to do it....now just to figure out how.

Pls show some photos of how your are able to rig up the light source...  Of top of my head I cannot see any issues with some (several) LED's in a plastic bottle at the bottom of your ocean...

Quote from: veron on October 27, 2009, 12:39:10 PM
I've had success with kalk slurry in a syringe 8)

Slurry is a cool word... we should have a bingo-game associated to words and posts...  If we did, Slurry would have to be on someones card for sure...  :) ;D

RossW

What about these water proof LED bars from this guy in Stittsville.

I bought the 2x8 LED bars for $28.  He used to sell on UsedOttawa but his website has his contact info.

http://www.me-canada.com/LED_lights/2_8_beam_blue_8_inch_details.html

holachicka

mmmmm, my kind of meal...anything, with a glass of red wine :)

Quote from: Contains Moose on October 27, 2009, 12:51:40 AM
I found out by accident that they migrate to the light, if you light one end of the tank high up and darken the room you might get an indication as to how they might move, this isn't going to happen overnight.

I installed a small bulb into a bottle suspended into the tank, they migrated to the bottle an were easily removed.

Once you get them out inject them with lemon juice, stir fry them with some thinly sliced onion and a glass of red wine.

holachicka

I agree - this has worked for me in the past!

Quote from: Severum on October 27, 2009, 12:04:07 AM

Contains Moose

Quote from: Hookup on October 27, 2009, 11:54:38 AM
Care to elaborate? 
Sure.. if you don't get all of it then they break down and multiply exponentially.

OttawaReefer

Quote from: Severum on October 27, 2009, 12:04:07 AM

And if you give them enough lemon juice they could be used as ceviche  :)

mchotdog

Quote from: RossW on October 27, 2009, 07:47:54 PM
What about these water proof LED bars from this guy in Stittsville.

I bought the 2x8 LED bars for $28.  He used to sell on UsedOttawa but his website has his contact info.

http://www.me-canada.com/LED_lights/2_8_beam_blue_8_inch_details.html
i dont think there is a contact info on the webpage... i want some of thoses lights. they look kinda cool.

crashar

OttawaReefer

I wonder how many of those white LED units they sell that you would need to light your tank?  That, and what light frequency it's outputting. 

Contains Moose

No need for water proofing, simply install a low wattage bulb into a glass jar that floats on the surface and has the bulk below the surface, no need to make this rocket science.