Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

HELP! Crab ID (sorry no pic yet!)

Started by spotted_drumfish, October 30, 2009, 08:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spotted_drumfish

Hi all! I have recently discovered a hitchhiker and I'm not so sure he's very good for the tank.. It's definitely a crab.  It's white/beige mainly, with medium to dark brown "spots" (not like a leopard but kind of striped like that).  It's hairy.  the arms are fairly large compared to the legs, and the pincers are dark brown and the claw has 2 "fingers" (not sure what they're called?).  Anyways, if this sounds familiar i'd love some help on the subject to see if he's harmful or not? I found him surrounded with empty shells, im thinking get rid of him? thanks in advance!

OttawaReefer

check here: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/swcrabidfaqs.htm

Without a picture it's hard.  A lot of crabs are not reef safe, but depending on what you have in the tank he may be fine

salvini55

were the empty shells full before hand? if so id get rid of the crab. what color are its eyes? red is bad

Vincenzo.

i love hitchhikers, and id be glad to help you...
but the lack of info i can help much..

is it out and about during the day? what color are eyes? are the pincers pointed? or spoon shaped? whats the size?