Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Leaking tank

Started by RoxyDog, January 31, 2010, 08:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoxyDog

I *think* my tank might have a slow leak at one of the seams.  Has anyone ever had one leak and not blow apart?  Is it always doomsday and I should get a new tank, or could it possibly last for years this way?
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

beowulf

The question is do you want to take a chance?  How big is the tank?

Funkmotor

If it has a slow leak, generally it will always become a bigger leak over time until the seam fails completely.

So you probably need to be *sure* there's a leak and it's not something else.  But if it is a leak, I'd say it's new tank time.

RoxyDog

I'm 99% sure, and it's 77gals.  Argh.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

mikerobart

I used to think I had a leak on my 29g, but I was spilling a bit of water into the trim, and the water would eventually make it's way out, leaving salt creep and looking like a leak. I'd say dry it off, don't do anything near the tank with water and watch to see what's happening before you do anything drastic .

Funkmotor

Quote from: mikerobart on January 31, 2010, 10:45:22 PM
I used to think I had a leak on my 29g, but I was spilling a bit of water into the trim, and the water would eventually make it's way out, leaving salt creep and looking like a leak. I'd say dry it off, don't do anything near the tank with water and watch to see what's happening before you do anything drastic .

I'll +1 that.  Also, it's possible for water to siphon itself over the top of the tank through the trim if it's not fully sealed and the water level is high.  I've dried things off before and used paper towels to find leak sources.

sas

Oh shoot, sorry to hear you're having a problem. Hopefully it's not leaking but..............

Quote from: Funkmotor on January 31, 2010, 11:12:35 PM
I'll +1 that.  Also, it's possible for water to siphon itself over the top of the tank through the trim if it's not fully sealed and the water level is high.  I've dried things off before and used paper towels to find leak sources.

I had this happen but it was on a 48g. Played the gambling game and waited and it turned out to be a siphoning problem.
Here's hoping it'll all turn out alright.

RoxyDog

Hmm, my 99% has gone down considerably.  The "leak" was about 2 inches from the bottom in one tiny spot.  Sort of right in a place where you'd think it couldn't possibly have come from above - except this morning it was dry.  So now I have no idea what's going on.   ???  Can a tank leak on and off?  If the water was coming from above you'd think there'd be water, oh I dunno, above this spot?  I think my tank just doesn't want me to sleep at night.   :D

bitterman

Very small leaks can stop due to calcium and Salt buildup but this is rare.

I did have what I thought was a leaking tank it it was water wicking over the top rim.

If you are sure it was leaking.... Sorry to say I'd replace the tank.. Better then $1000 of repairs to fir the water damage :(

Bruce

washefuzzy

I hope it's not a leak RoxyDog!! Good luck figuring it all out.

Rob Labonte

yeah, id make shure it is an actual leak and not a filter or skimmer.

I picked up a tank once dirt cheap cause the guy thought it had a leak. it must have been something else cause it never leaked for me. his loss=my gain.  : ;D

Nerine

Don't take the chance!!! You don't want to come home one day and your fish are all over the floor....It's not a pretty sight to behold!

If you want.... I just bought a gun and silicone :D am redoing a couple of mine that are questionable...you're welcome to it as there will be plenty left over
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

RoxyDog

I swear it was leaking but now it seems like it's not...so let's just pretend I never thought it was in the first place!  :-[  ;D

beertech

That's exactly how mine started, I noticed some salt build up along the bottom edge, wiped it, then noticed it kept coming back a few days later. I thought it might be a leak, but wasn't sure. This went on for a month or so, then one night around 3 am.... the tank burst at the bottom seam.  $5000 damage to flooring, drywall, basement furniture etc... This was my 46 gal bowfront.  The bright side is I got to upgrade to a 135 inwall in the basement. I wouldn't panic, but just make sure you keep a close eye on it for peace of mind.  Examine the silicone with a flashlight to see if there are any visible bubbles or gaps. Use brown paper towel to find drops of water that you may not see easily.
Good luck, I hope it's nothing.

Gord

Nerine

Yep that's how mine did it too...
a 10g and a 55 g :P the 55 g busted at the seams and thankfully it was only half full and in the basement, so no water damage done (as the basement was water proofed halfway up the wall due to frequent flooding LOL) but my 10g ....slow leak, I ignored it...and then came home one day with the front pane on the floor :P a few fish survived by falling in a bucket that was in front of the tank (how crazy is that!)  and 10g makes quite a mess....
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Rob Labonte

ROXY DOG.

ill take your suspected leaking tank off your hands.

see, I rent. and im not on a fixed lease.

the day one of my tanks let go, is the day I move. lol ;)