Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Water storage containers

Started by Poonaka, February 18, 2010, 12:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poonaka

What do you guys use to store large amounts of ro/di water and new saltwater?  Where can I purchase it?  Currently I have a 35g Rubbermaid container but it's warping pretty badly and that makes me a little nervous.  I only fill it 3/4 full but it has completely lost it's original shape and I can no longer put the lid on it.  Ideally I'd like to have something that can hold 50g or more.

Saltcreep

Wow, a single container for 50g; wouldn't that be huge?

I use two Rubbermaid plastic trashcans. They look 'normal' size to me and, I think they hold 26g each. I fill them just about to the top and they seem to keep their shape. The tops still fit fine and snap into place. I keep them on a dolly though to move them around.

For something the size you're looking for, maybe something food-grade from Cohen's.

FocusFin

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Poonaka

Quote from: Saltcreep on February 18, 2010, 12:15:05 PM
Wow, a single container for 50g; wouldn't that be huge?

I guess so... I figured a single container would be less hassle that using multiple containers.  I came across this photo: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-10/totm/images/sump2.jpg  apparently the containers will hold 100g but I have no clue where to find them.

Saltcreep

Quote from: Poonaka on February 18, 2010, 12:25:05 PM
I guess so... I figured a single container would be less hassle that using multiple containers.  I came across this photo: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-10/totm/images/sump2.jpg  apparently the containers will hold 100g but I have no clue where to find them.

They don't want us to see the picture.

Saltcreep

Quote from: Saltcreep on February 18, 2010, 12:27:51 PM
They don't want us to see the picture.

Went to their site and had a look. I think those are for made for livestock tanks. For watering cattle or horses.

Poonaka

Quote from: Saltcreep on February 18, 2010, 12:36:39 PM
Went to their site and had a look. I think those are for made for livestock tanks. For watering cattle or horses.

ah I guess that's why I can't it on the consumer rubbermaid site

krila

what about 45 gallon food grade barrels?  I dont know where you might find them but I know people use them for water storage.

Kris

Poonaka

Quote from: krila on February 18, 2010, 12:52:55 PM
what about 45 gallon food grade barrels?  I dont know where you might find them but I know people use them for water storage.

Kris

That would probably work too.  Anything in that ball park would be great.

Rybren

A lot of people use the Rubbermaid BRUTE trashcans (they are food grade rated).  I believe they come in 3 sizes starting at 20 Gal.  From what I've read, the Rubbermaid ROUGHNECK aren't as good; they're not food grade and they supposedly have a tendency to split after a year or so.

I don't use either  :(  I get 6 gal pails @ $2-3 a pop from the wine-making places.

HD is the only local place I've seen with the Brutes.
120G Reef

Funkmotor

Quote from: Rybren on February 19, 2010, 09:48:29 PM
A lot of people use the Rubbermaid BRUTE trashcans (they are food grade rated).

I have 2 20G Brutes, and they're great.  I got grey ones, which are rated food grade.  They make ones up to 55G, and Home Depot has them.

Here's a pic on a site that sells them in the US:
http://www.rubbermaidcommercialproducts.com/2655-BRUTE-Container-without-Lid-3-Pack-p489.html

jenn_zep

I don't us it for my aquarium but i have a 100g container, it's made out of impact resistant resin, it's originaly for livestock. TSC has an assorted supply.

Brine

Soeman

If you're really insisting on the single large container I would think the rainbarrel would be the best option readily available. It'd probably be the easiest for mixing salt water, but if you're just looking at stocking up RO/DI water I would suggest the standard water cooler jugs. mine is 18L, but i think you can get upto ~28L. Far more mobile and can be poured directly into your tank. On their side they can be stacked up without _too much_ wasted space. best of all, they are FAR cheaper than any large reliable container.