Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ro/di units

Started by mermaid, February 25, 2010, 12:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mermaid

Have been on other forums and they are talking abou RO/DI units that have 0 waste water.How is this possible?
What happens to the bad water?Where does it go?

RossW

Not intending to be rude... do the other forums not ask/answer these questions?

To the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as an RO membrane which does not reject water/produce 0 waste.

Quote from: mermaid on February 25, 2010, 12:24:04 PM
Have been on other forums and they are talking abou RO/DI units that have 0 waste water.How is this possible?
What happens to the bad water?Where does it go?

bac

went to home depot last week , they had one that claimed to ,it's new . go take a look I throught they all had wast water too

HomerJ

As per the Home-Depot description:

QuoteWhile standard reverse osmosis systems waste four or more gallons per every gallon produced. The new patented "Zero Waste" reverse osmosis system wastes no water.This state of the art system reduces Arsenic(v), Cysts, Barium, Cadium, Chromium, Copper, Floride, Lead, Radium 226/228, Selenium, TDS, and Turbidity. In addition, bad tastes and odors, such as chlorine, can be virtually eliminated from your drinking water along with unwanted chemicals and sediments, giving you fresh, healthy tasting water with every glass.

It'd be interesting to see actual figures of how well it performs.

RossW

Interesting indeed!  Anyone have any experience with this unit.  It seems too good to be true, and my parents told me...

Quote from: HomerJ on February 25, 2010, 02:10:12 PM
As per the Home-Depot description:

It'd be interesting to see actual figures of how well it performs.

veron

it is always to good to be true. if your not wasting water then your wasting ALOT of other products/money to achive low TDS. besides, these are drinking systems and not really tailored to reefing which in essence your looking for ''better'' water than what those can achive. If there was a true waste free unit out there I would have heard of it by now ;)
besides, you can always use the waste water for other household things

johnrt

The date on that post was Feb. 2009. If these were up to snuff, we would have all heard about them.

mikerobart

Well that makes a lot more sense... there is still waste water it is just re-directed to the hot supply.

Hookup

I want one, and even more I want it to be true.... the used RO/DI market is going to go nutz if these things work.

veron

redirected using a pump which is another possible failure point. hotwater could backtrack and ruin your membrane.
also, putting mineral ladden waste water back into your hotwater tank will surely ruin your hotwater element fast from what I understand

groan

Veron, there would definatley be a check valve to stop that from happening.
This is interesting. I'll have to ask Tyler at BWI what he has to say.

ciaus

Quote from: veron on February 26, 2010, 10:19:40 AM
redirected using a pump which is another possible failure point. hot water could backtrack and ruin your membrane.
also, putting mineral ladden waste water back into your hot water tank will surely ruin your hotwater element fast from what I understand
I'd think returning "waste" water to the input of the Hot water would be a good thing...better than straight to the drainage system.  You might be reintroducing water with a level of solids etc -  that is higher than the main supply - , so it might not be safe for consumption, but I doubt it would be so bad as to reduce the life of the heater by a double digit percentage.

Having grown up in BC, we owned the Hot water tank along with all the other appliances in the home, but here they are "rented" from the Utility company, so if you happen to be shortening the life of the coils, so what, you don't own it.  when it packs it in, let the utility company from which you rent replace it.

Just my thought...

Ciaus