Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS March meeting

Started by charlie, March 08, 2010, 05:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Our meeting this month on March 22ND @ 7.00PM will feature a hobby discussion session , it will be in the format of a panel of hobbyist from different aspects of our passionate glass box with water hobby, attempting to answer questions from the members, other members input to the answers is also welcome, this should stimulate a good discussion & learning environment.
We will also have our usual door prize draws, Now renown OVAS Cafe  ;), sample of our extensive Library & maybe a short video.
Where:J.A. Dulude Arena - Mel Baker Hall, located at  941 Clyde Avenue
Time: 7.00PM
When: Monday March 22nd 2010
Come one , come all

garnpet

Just a reminder, that due to the Giant Auction, we will not be having a mini-auction at this meeting.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

alongfortheride

Quote from: charlie on March 08, 2010, 05:05:41 PM
Our meeting this month on March 22ND @ 7.00PM will feature a hobby discussion session , it will be in the format of a panel of hobbyist from different aspects of our passionate glass box with water hobby, attempting to answer questions from the members, other members input to the answers is also welcome, this should stimulate a good discussion & learning environment.
We will also have our usual door prize draws, Now renown OVAS Cafe  ;), sample of our extensive Library & maybe a short video.
Where:J.A. Dulude Arena - Mel Baker Hall, located at  941 Clyde Avenue
Time: 7.00PM
When: Monday March 22nd 2010
Come one , come all

Sounds like a great meeting!
Count me in!
Who will be speaking and on behalf of what topics?

Nerine

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

holachicka

Agreed - looking forward to it :)

holachicka

Charlie - who will be speaking and on behalf of what topics? Also, seeing that this is in the general section, would it maybe be a good idea to say "members and non-members" in the info blurb? It could be perceived as non-members will not be allowed to participate at all, maybe there is a reason for it, I don't know...its just something I picked up looking at it again to double check the Meeting Date.

Please note - I don't want 15 people jumping in with their opinion on why I am asking these questions, as that is what they are, just questions from someone unsure as to how this Club operates (which is why I plan on attending my first meeting on Monday) :)

Thank you in advance for the information.

washefuzzy

At meetings we usually only get about 4 to 6 non-members, who come to check us out and who usually become members. Yes non members can participate and ask questions. If we voted on something, which dosen't happen often, than only members would be allowed to vote. It's orgnaized but friendly and informal.  ;) :)

charlie

The panel of hobbyist is only there to stimulate a healthy hobby related discussion, this will hopefully generate a lot of participation from the folks in attendance.The following persons have agreed to participate - Matt Seguin,Joe Schwartz,Robert Hemp,Michel Lalonde,Vince,Mark Warmington ( depending on availability) & myself, collectively most aspects of the hobby will be covered.

As usual come one come all is used in the context of open invitation, to borrow a line from our " About OVAS FAQ" -
QuoteNon-members can attend the society meetings. You do not even need to own an aquarium. All you need is interest in the hobby.

holachicka

Quote from: washefuzzy on March 18, 2010, 06:08:12 PM
At meetings we usually only get about 4 to 6 non-members, who come to check us out and who usually become members. Yes non members can participate and ask questions. If we voted on something, which dosen't happen often, than only members would be allowed to vote. It's orgnaized but friendly and informal.  ;) :)

Thanks for the info :)

Quote from: charlie on March 18, 2010, 06:53:10 PM
The panel of hobbyist is only there to stimulate a healthy hobby related discussion, this will hopefully generate a lot of participation from the folks in attendance.The following persons have agreed to participate - Matt Seguin,Joe Schwartz,Robert Hemp,Michel Lalonde,Vince,Mark Warmington ( depending on availability) & myself, collectively most aspects of the hobby will be covered.

As usual come one come all is used in the context of open invitation, to borrow a line from our " About OVAS FAQ" -

Oh wow - That is a nice group!! Can't wait!

charlie

Thanks to all who made it out to last nights meeting, as promised here is a link to the "Sounds fishy" podcast, this podcast touches on some of the discussion which resulted from the BAP information session by Mark,enjoy.
http://www.aquaradio.net/pages/podcasts/podcasts_03_10/judy_hellweg_03_21_10.html

markw

Quote from: charlie on March 23, 2010, 08:33:18 AM
Thanks to all who made it out to last nights meeting, as promised here is a link to the "Sounds fishy" podcast, this podcast touches on some of the discussion which resulted from the BAP information session by Mark,enjoy.
http://www.aquaradio.net/pages/podcasts/podcasts_03_10/judy_hellweg_03_21_10.html
Thanks for posting this Errol. It is well worth listening to! Maybe thats what we need around here...is a few friendly competitions.

Nerine

I am finishing setting up tanks because I reallllly want to start breeding critters again!! I just have guppies right now LOL!
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

Rybren

Thanks to Vince for his donation of the door prizes.

My fish love the food.
120G Reef

holachicka

Quote from: Rybren on March 24, 2010, 10:35:42 AM
Thanks to Vince for his donation of the door prizes.

My fish love the food.

And thanks to Rybren for sharing his winnings :)

Severum

I finally won a door prize too!

Agreed! SeaBellys makes my fishes' bellies happy!  ;D

Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

FishBuddy

Bitterman won the cichlid fish food and gave it to me!  Thanks Bruce!   

Not sure what you put in there SeaBellys but the fish go nuts!  I got splash all over as soon I put in the food!   Ended up mopping up the floor afterwards.... :)

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

bitterman

Quote from: FishBuddy on March 24, 2010, 12:32:57 PM
Bitterman won the cichlid fish food and gave it to me!  Thanks Bruce!   

Not sure what you put in there SeaBellys but the fish go nuts!  I got splash all over as soon I put in the food!   Ended up mopping up the floor afterwards.... :)

Yeah it was fun.. John was saying get the cichlid food... I want to try it.. get the cichlid food... so I figured since I have about 2 lbs in my freezer I made it might get Vince some sales.. and John's a good guy so I figured what the heck why not ;)

Have fun,
   Bruce

Vincenzo.

it was a good meeting, im glad to take part..... and especially in all the questions thrown my way :D it was overwhelming. -chuckles- but i learned something for sure, that fw tank water conditions dont matter 'that that' much, i found that quite interesting. plus  it was Very informative.

glad to have donated. the door prizes, i hope all the 'Bellys are happy ones. still have lots for sale too :D

Nerine

Thank you very much Vince! :)

Awesome job everyone on the panel! Great seeing everyone out there :) Looking forward to April!