Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

GFO Reactor flow

Started by lost_at_sea, March 15, 2010, 02:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lost_at_sea

Hey so i've researched that low flow / increased contact time is ideal for both Carbon and GFO reactors (i'm running a dual) however you need enough flow to keep the GFO tumbling at the surface, just enough so that it doesn't solidify.

thought, would a very low flow ie no tumbling be better as long as you say 'jacked it up' once a day to ensure the GFO doesn't solidify?

JD

Interesting idea. I would have a hard time remembering to do that daily. I try to make everything as much hands off as possible.

The issue I have run into is keep all the media tumbling. If the reactor isn't perfectly level only one area tumbles.
I ended up running the flow a little higher than necessary just to keep all of it moving.

Rybren

I have a DIY reactor running both GFO and carbon in the same chamber.  I, too, only have a portion tumbling; however, I see no evidence of clumping.  Although there are many differing opinions out there on tumble rates, I have also read that it isn't even required (I think that this came from RHF) and I don't worry about it.
120G Reef

lost_at_sea

Ya i noticed the uneven flow through the chamber and used some foam to level it against the wall where i mounted it.  I seem to have a good uniform tumble on the top inch... we'll see what happens.