Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

affordable LED lighting

Started by sylvain, March 15, 2010, 06:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sylvain

I recently wanted to do something new with the lights on my tanks, saving on energy costs as well as cutting on heat from the lights, I found in a local store encapsulated quads led all wired and in strips of 20 quads each approximately 3,5 inches apart, giving me 80 leds per strip. I then removed the fluorescent that I had in my canopy on my 120, took some measurements to see how i could install the led to maximise the light in the tank. I purchased 2 strips of white and one blue, installed everything and the result is just amazingit cost me a little under 150$ for the leds and the transformer. I did the same for my 220, but I had to buy 3 strips of white and two blue, installed them a little different to make sure i have an actinic like results.

Pics are available if any of you would like to see the result.

Please provide an e-mail adress or if someone is good enough to post the oics on ovas for everybody to see it would be appreciated.
with ovas permission of course.
Sylvain 
220-
150-
120-

JetJumper

I would love to see the pictures of this.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

charmed1

I sent you my email add, send me the pics and I will post them for you.  ;)

charmed1

here are the pics :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

JetJumper

Very Nice indeed.  As for corals in a salt water fashion I don't think it would be enough light, but as for just fish and minimal aquatic plants, works well!

sylvain

Quote from: JetJumper on March 16, 2010, 07:29:13 PM
Very Nice indeed.  As for corals in a salt water fashion I don't think it would be enough light, but as for just fish and minimal aquatic plants, works well!

True, but the beauty of this is that you can expand it to suit your specific need,
reduce lighting in some area of the tank for example, so species that like little lights
can thrive, you could even dim them.
Sylvain 
220-
150-
120-

JetJumper

Yeah, which is more or less being discussed here:

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=43086.0

Price wise it would probably work out the same to have a setup for a SW tank.  But its nice for Fish only / minimal plants for the price! :D