Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

compact power light seems to be getting dimmer

Started by drboeing, March 16, 2010, 12:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drboeing

I have a 48 inch power compact 4 bulb light and it seems the lights are getting dimmer, so I am suspecting that the ballast is starting to go. Is there a store other than the pet stores who carry these ballasts, like a Preston Hardware or something.

johnrt

You might try Buchanan Lighting129 Loretta Ave N, Ottawa, ON(613) 728-3551‎. It looks kinda wholesale only, but they are pleasant folk and probably have what you need in stock. Open the beast up first if you can so they can see the innards.

BTW: I have no connection with them 'cept I have bought stuffs from them and it worked.

P-BTW: You might tell them the symptoms. I don't now if 'getting dimmer' is a failure mode for a ballast, it is for a bulb.

PP-BTW: They probably have the bulb in stock as well.

Aquaviewer

Quote from: drboeing on March 16, 2010, 12:07:49 AM
I have a 48 inch power compact 4 bulb light and it seems the lights are getting dimmer, so I am suspecting that the ballast is starting to go. Is there a store other than the pet stores who carry these ballasts, like a Preston Hardware or something.

How old are the bulbs?  If they are older than 12 mo I would suspect the bulbs before ripping your canopy appart to change the balast.

Litmor carries Workhorse balasts if it comes to that.
Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

drboeing

The bulbs are less than a year old.
I just found it odd that both started to become dimmer at the same time, that is why I am suspecting the ballast