Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS April meeting

Started by charlie, March 23, 2010, 07:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

April`s meeting is on the 26TH, at this meeting we will be having a feature presentation on -"The New Guinea Rainbowfish Aquarium" this presentation will be offered by  Ken Boorman, big thanks to Ken for accepting our invitation & making the long drive to visit & share his experience with us.
This meeting will also include our final mini auction for this season,sampling of our extensive library,door prizes for members, OVAS cafe  ;) & as always a good opportunity to meet other like minded hobbyist & chat, so come one, come all.
Regards
Where:J.A. Dulude Arena - Mel Baker Hall, located at  941 Clyde Avenue
When: Monday April 26Th
Time: 7.00PM
http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=2

A bit about Ken Boorman
Ken, is originally from Australia, but is now living in Ontario, Canada with his new wife Lisa and their daughter Kathleen in Chatham. Ken has kept fish for more than 42 years, since he was 10. A good part of this time he has dedicated exclusively to collect, keep and breed Australia and New Guinea native fishes in his numerous home aquariums, these fish belonging to several families. He has been a member of the Australian New Guinea Fishes Association for many years and is currently the North American co-ordinator for that group. He is also president of the Sarnia Aquarium Society and is active in CAOAC where he is presently 1st vice president. He will be familiar to many people as the person who operates Lisa's Lair Bookstore. He is well-read on most aquarium and terrarium subjects. The title of Ken's current talk is The New Guinea Rainbowfish Aquarium. He is currently developing several other talks, all involved with rainbowfish and related families.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Vincenzo.

sound like this shall be yet another 'goodie' - thanks for the arrangement y'alls.

Brent Shaver

I am actually off that date, will do my best to attend..

cichlidicted

will attend ... intresting fish.

Jeff1192

Sounds interesting....and finally I'm not working for one of the meetings.....hopefully I'll be there. Thanks for organizing these great speakers Charlie.
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

wish_Fish

looking forward to the meeting

Nerine

I got sucked into Rainbows because someone spoke on them yeaaarrrs ago ;D I just haven't had them due to breeding other things, I think this is going to inspire me to have more rainbows again!!

Looking forward to this meeting!!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Fishnut

I hope he brings some fish! :D

charlie

Ken has confirmed that he will be bringing a very limited amount of fish & printed material, his availability of stock is low at the moment.
see you all on Monday.

Fishnut

That's great!  I've been exploring the world of Rainbows lately.  I've only ever had a few varieties.

Blackstitch

Looking forward to the meeting. Good thing they allow us at work to leave when we want if we give fair warning.

charlie

Last mini auction for this season, see you tomorrow.
Quote from: charlie on March 23, 2010, 07:35:34 AM
April`s meeting is on the 26TH, at this meeting we will be having a feature presentation on -"The New Guinea Rainbowfish Aquarium" this presentation will be offered by  Ken Boorman, big thanks to Ken for accepting our invitation & making the long drive to visit & share his experience with us.
This meeting will also include our final  mini auction for this season,sampling of our extensive library,door prizes for members, OVAS cafe  ;) & as always a good opportunity to meet other like minded hobbyist & chat, so come one, come all.
Regards
Where:J.A. Dulude Arena - Mel Baker Hall, located at  941 Clyde Avenue
When: Monday April 26Th
Time: 7.00PM
http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=2

A bit about Ken Boorman
Ken, is originally from Australia, but is now living in Ontario, Canada with his new wife Lisa and their daughter Kathleen in Chatham. Ken has kept fish for more than 42 years, since he was 10. A good part of this time he has dedicated exclusively to collect, keep and breed Australia and New Guinea native fishes in his numerous home aquariums, these fish belonging to several families. He has been a member of the Australian New Guinea Fishes Association for many years and is currently the North American co-ordinator for that group. He is also president of the Sarnia Aquarium Society and is active in CAOAC where he is presently 1st vice president. He will be familiar to many people as the person who operates Lisa's Lair Bookstore. He is well-read on most aquarium and terrarium subjects. The title of Ken's current talk is The New Guinea Rainbowfish Aquarium. He is currently developing several other talks, all involved with rainbowfish and related families.

charlie

Thanks to Ken & his family for making the long trek to enrich us with more fishy knowledge, great stuff.
Thanks to all who made it out to the meeting tonight, especially all the new faces.
Congrats to our door prize winners.

Fishnut

I had a great time!  I learned that I keep my current rainbows far to hot and I got a beautiful Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi...the yellow guy.  He's in quarantine for now but by the time I go to CAOAC, he'll be in my main tank.  I can't believe I only paid $6 for him!  Stunning!!

Nerine

Thank you Ken! Looking forward to owning rainbows again ;D can't wait!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

charlie

I would like to extend  appreciation to members ajm1961 & Fishbuddy for their generous donations at the meeting to the Century school tank project.
ajm1961 kindly donated the proceeds from his auction items towards purchasing fish for the school tank while Fishbuddy generously donated a nice Albino Bushynose, driftwood & a huge clump of Java moss.
Here is a link to pictures from the meeting.
http://ovas.ca/index.php?action=gallery;cat=64

[attachment deleted by admin]

bitterman

This was so interesting.

Thanks Ken and family for taking the long trip to enlighten us!

Now I think I need to mess with water chemistry to drop my ph so I can keep some rainbows.. 9.1 is just too high.

Bruce

zima

Another excellent meeting indeed. Ken's presentation made me think of keeping and possibly breeding some rainbows again.

Brent Shaver

Our car went down so I didnt get to go and I am on call for the last one.  Wish I could have attended, sounds like it was a great session.

Brent

Daisy

Hi Charlie, Ken and everyone...

I'll add my voice to those who really enjoyed the meeting :-)  I am a relatively new OVAS member, and last night was only my second meeting.  I was able to stay for Ken's talk - which I really enjoyed, especially the beautiful pictures -  but then regrettably I had to leave early (otherwise, I'm sure I could not have resisted the auction :-)

I probably know less about fish than anyone on this site, but I will say that in my efforts to set up a 90 gallon tank these last few months, amongst my very favourite fish are the rainbows :-)  I have two turquoise and two Boesemani... and now that I'm much better informed by Ken's talk, I know that ALL of them are male (sigh), and that I'll need to solve that problem if I hope to see any dazzling colours :-)

Thanks again for having organized such an interesting meeting - much appreciated!
Daisy.