Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

super-quiet filter

Started by Daisy, April 01, 2010, 05:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daisy

Hi all,

I recently bought a used 20 gallon tank, along with a Tetra Whisper EX30 "hob" filter.  The filter is nearly new (bought in January) and works just fine -- except that, the tank is in my bedroom and the filter (which is NOT noisy by regular standards) is just a little too noisy for my preference, given its location.  (I also have a canister filter running in that room, and it is entirely silent.)

Can anyone advise on the absolute quietest filter out there for a 20 gallon tank?

Advice much appreciated,
Thanks!
Daisy.

jetstream

Eheim ecco 2232, 2213 or 2026. Price range from low to high  Fine print I am not an Eheim sales rep!  :)

Daisy

well, that's clear enough :-)
thanks jetstream....

have you owned / used these filters yourself?   I assume yes?

am looking for inexpensive solution... but, hard to listen to the least expensive of these, through the box, at the store :-)

thanks!

Brent Shaver

When  you go into the store explain you need this because it is in a bedroom, that way if too loud and they recommend then you can take it back and say, Nope need a different one without hassel.

charlie

I`m with jetstream`s suggestion, except that i think the pro2 2026 might be a bit of over kill on a 20 gallon.
I have & still use both the Eheim classic 2213 & Eheim Eco comfort 2236 on my 20 gallon in my room = lots of filtration & very quiet for me, the only time i would hear any noise is when the water level drop below the spray bar output thus creating the water fall effect that is common with HOB filters.
Regards

sas

For sure an Eheim 2213.
I'm using the 2213 on a 29g, plus an Aqua Clear 300.
and seriously when I first got the Eheim I had to touch it
to see if it was running. This is a second hand filter also,
and...........I`m thinking it may even be third hand. So this is an
older model and still runs smoothly.

Keep an eye on the classifieds, and they do come up periodically.

Jeff1192

I have to agree with everyone as well. The Eheims are super quiet. I can never tell if mine is running without looking at the spray bar.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

jetstream

Quote from: Daisy on April 01, 2010, 06:24:57 PM

have you owned / used these filters yourself?   I assume yes?

It will take me longer to answer your question if you asked me how many I have! I also own few HOB filters. Ha ha!  ;)

As Charlie mentioned, the problem with HOB filter is the water fall effect. You need to maintain the tank's water level as high as possible in order to cut the water noise down to min.

Quoteam looking for inexpensive solution... but, hard to listen to the least expensive of these, through the box, at the store :-)

If you compare the price among all the canister filters. The Eheim classic or ECCO series are not that bad. The Eheim substrate Pro2 efficiency rated very high by some of the more demanding hobbyists. Maybe the 2213 kit only offers Substrate Pro1 with the kit set. I have a 2217 more than 15 years old and is still working fine. If compared the price with other filters at that time, it was even more expensive. But with over 15 years of solid service, I think I couldn't find other excuses to complaint besides the price!  Fine print again, I don't get any commission from the dealer for promoting Eheim  ;)

Cheers,

Rob Labonte

those are all excellent filters. but if you want a really quiet filter for cheap, go with the whisper 20i in tank filter. you can barely hear them. and they are cheap. like 30$. nice thing about them is you can change the filter cartridge in 2 seconds.

downside is that they take some room in the tank and are visible. also if you want to keep them quiet, you have to keep the water level up to the spout.

ordi260

+1 on the eheim canisters!!!

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]