New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Salty Sundays - a fun and lighthearted meeting of minds Sundays from 10am-noon

Started by alongfortheride, April 08, 2010, 12:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holachicka

As a wise man said a few posts earlier - HELLs YEAH I am in!!!!!!!

Hookup

This idea is PURE GENIOUS... what a great thing you're doing... Maybe we need to start a SS blog that has a schedule and photos of the project tank...???

dan2x38

To make note wouldn't look for or ask for any freebies... :) Just be cool to have exposure to such experience! That is pretty good payment. OH did I not already say, "no matter how you do this it is awesome thanks guys!" Workshops like this are few and far between then when they are there is usually a cost.

You can start a Blog and/or photo series on The Cafe NP.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

RoxyDog

Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

redbelly

Thanks guys, sounds like it is a go for sure then.

We thought up this idea over the winter and have been waiting for it to get nice out to be able to actually do it. With how busy it is a SS it was just not possible over the winter though. Plus doing these things outside in the sun over some good convo is always more fun anyways.

I think the idea though will be to start with a tank and build it all the way to completion. Once the tank, stand, sump plumbing etc is complete we will probably put together raffle tickets or something similar. We would only sell just enough ticket to cover the cost of the tank and stand and raffle it off in a complete package but this would be done in an entirely not for profit type fashion.
Or maybe we will just build up tylers new 75g tank so that it actually gets done this year :P

Dan we could see about doing your tank at the same time, but whatever tank we built we would be keeping right until the end to show the full build.
We would be happy to blog it on your site Dan too if you welcome the content - it would be nice to have this info posted somewhere else.

I have not actually decided if we would build a sloped overflow like on my tank or if we would build some custom internal durso pipes like on Hookup's tank.

dan2x38

Quote from: redbelly on May 18, 2010, 06:29:19 PM
Dan we could see about doing your tank at the same time, but whatever tank we built we would be keeping right until the end to show the full build.
We would be happy to blog it on your site Dan too if you welcome the content - it would be nice to have this info posted somewhere else.

OK not my tank then I need to bring it home... ;)

Sure let me know your thinking for the blog/photos/whatever we can customize something for it if you want? Pretty open for an idea/s...
Voltaire:

ordi260

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

Tyler.L

yeah lets build my tank sounds good to me but everything i want is free, all aussie rock, ati, octo cone skimmer, 6 mp10s, live stock then we raffle it off back to me sounda great thanks every one

dan2x38

I will win the raffle Tyler and only need one ticket...  :P This sounds like a lot of fun and we get to enjoy it with Trina's Pea-Con Buttertarts... LOL

OH HChicka how was your buttertart? My 10 were great... LMAO
Voltaire:

Hookup

Dan, you were there?  I'm sorry for not trying to find you and say hello.  Sandy and I showed up a bit late, on the motorcycle.  Next time (not next weekend, we'll be at the cottage)...

Tim

dan2x38

I saw you guys just didn't know it was you. Hard to identify each other without knowing the others online handles. I saw your wife collecting some fresh mint compliments of Trina & Pat. You were talking about the noisey pumps that sounded like sewing machines... LOL
Voltaire:

White Lightning

I would be really interested in something like this since I am setting up a 125 gallon from scratch. It's not going to be drilled but the aquascaping part has me very interested. I would love to learn about how I can properly put my rock formations together using zip ties or whatever method is best suited.

holachicka

Dan - Thanks to you and a few other greedy people, I only got to eat ONE buttertart....sigh...oh well, Thank goodness Trina will be making more this weekend seeing she did not even get to try one :D :D

As for the tankbuild and raffle...I CALL IT!!! It will be mine....all mine!!! YAH - I will finally, after 6 months, have a tank again!!! yu-pie!

Tyler........nah, forget it!

RoxyDog

Quote from: redbelly on May 18, 2010, 06:29:19 PM
I think the idea though will be to start with a tank and build it all the way to completion.

Are you (or someone else there) able to build a stand and canopy too?  Like literally just start with a tank and go?  DIY lights?  How about you build the tank too?  :) 
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Hookup

I know there are many people who can build the structure for a stand, and probably quite a few who can skin-it out to make it look like a finished product.

Purdy neato.

Severum

If this is from scratch than we need to make the glass ourselves too.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

holachicka

redbelly

Quote from: RoxyDog on May 19, 2010, 09:25:16 AM
Are you (or someone else there) able to build a stand and canopy too?  Like literally just start with a tank and go?  DIY lights?  How about you build the tank too?  :) 

I am certainly not a pro stand builder, but I can build a stand that would support a freakin tank and house a tank below it. Skinning the tank is pretty easy too really, so yeah we will build the stand from scratch, using poor quality but readily available Home Depo wood.

We could do a custom tank build but that alone would chew up like a full month as you have to do one part and let it sit, then another and sit and another..... so yeah it would take about 3 weeks just for the tank build and realistically how many people are going to build their own tanks vs building their own stands, canopy, plumbing, bonsai aqua scaping etc.

DIY lights, there is really no point. The cost of fixtures has come down so much its the same price to buy a kit as building on your own. The icecap retro kit is cheaper than buying the parts seperate and the retro kit is plug and play! The aqua medic 2 x T5 HO is also cheaper than buying the parts seperately, so IMO the days of retroing your own lighting are in the past. Plus with a retro setup if it catches on fire your not covered, but thats another storey.
Maybe other feel differently though...
Do people really want a retro lighting day?
I could try and find an electrician to do this demo.

JD

Quote from: holachicka on May 19, 2010, 09:15:47 AM
Thanks to you and a few other greedy people, I only got to eat ONE buttertart....sigh

Ahh Ummmm, you told me you had 5 butter tarts.  :-)

Perhaps that's the new math you are using.

1 + 1 = 2, 2 + 1 = 3, 3 + 2 (that no one saw) = 1, ya ya, that's it!

Severum

Don't you know anything JD! The ones no one sees you take get subtracted from your total.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef