Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Where to find silicone grease?

Started by Poonaka, April 13, 2010, 08:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poonaka

Home Depot and Rona don't seem to carry any that are aquarium safe.  Anyone know where I can find some?

Funkmotor

Do you want silicone sealant, or silicone grease?

I don't know why you'd put silicone grease into a tank, so I'll assume you're after sealant.

GE Silicone I (Blue tube, Window & Door) is aquarium safe, and used to be marked as such but is not any longer.  Type II Silicone (whatever colour the tube might be) is NOT safe and you should not use it.

This is the stuff:

Poonaka

Quote from: Funkmotor on April 13, 2010, 10:09:07 PM
Do you want silicone sealant, or silicone grease?

I don't know why you'd put silicone grease into a tank, so I'll assume you're after sealant.

GE Silicone I (Blue tube, Window & Door) is aquarium safe, and used to be marked as such but is not any longer.  Type II Silicone (whatever colour the tube might be) is NOT safe and you should not use it.

This is the stuff:

I want grease.  It's used for bulkhead gaskets.  It increases their life span from saltwater abuse.

Funkmotor

Well, I guess that sets me straight.

nissannx

i use the grease for swimming pools. check a swimming pool store or maybe cdn tire in the pool section

Poonaka

Quote from: nissannx on April 13, 2010, 10:30:22 PM
i use the grease for swimming pools. check a swimming pool store or maybe cdn tire in the pool section

Thanks for the tip; I'll give that a shot.

JetJumper

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Poonaka

Quote from: JetJumper on April 14, 2010, 12:04:30 AM
Vaseline?

Vaseline is petroleum based which isn't reef safe.  Not sure if the little amount needed would do any harm though.

Contains Moose

I use Dow Corning 111, purchased at an industrial supply house.

Saltcreep

I think what you're looking for is plumbers silicone lubricant. It's used for lubricating O rings and the like. Maybe HD or a plumbing supply shop like Boone's. Preston Hardware?

bergenm

HD carrys plumbers silicon grease - in the plumbing dept. small blue 'pill jar' on a blister card for about $4...
Michael