Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

RODI... what the heck am I looking for?

Started by Snowgrrl83, April 14, 2010, 03:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowgrrl83

Hi everyone,

I've set up my 20-gallon nano reef tank since mid-December and I've been doing my water changes and top-offs with distilled bottled water.  I'm thinking of buying an RODI but I have no idea what I should be looking for.  I don't want something that will break my budget but I also want to avoid bad algae problems (as red slime is slowly creeping up on me).  I don't need anything that produces a ton of water fast either since I'm dealing with such a small tank.  Any advice?  I really don't know what this deionization deal is about.. and I really dont know what the difference between 2,3,4,5 stages are........help!  Any good articles on RODIs would also be helpful.  Thanks.

JetJumper

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

mikerobart

You want the di section for sure. Go for at least the standard 4 stage, 75 gpd. Prefilter, carbon, then RO membrane, then DI. Also be sure to get a tds meter. A hand held is about $35, a dual inline maybe $45. These systems can sound confusing but really they are not. All push fittings, very easy to set up and unless you want to plumb it into your house as opposed to using a screw on faucet type hookup anyone can set one up. I bought a ton of extra poly tube as well from HD so I can run the output all the way across the house from the laundry slop sink where I have it connected.