Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY Magnetic Algae cleaner

Started by ciaus, April 14, 2010, 08:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciaus

I would have sworn I saw a reference to making a magnetic algae cleaner somewhere in the forums....but I can seem to locate it.

So.....
Where would one obtain the larger magnets?
What recommendations do people have for some sort of a rubberized coating on the magnets?

TIA

Ciaus

redbelly

You can actually get magnets with a rubberized coating already on them.
This would probably be your safest bet.

What size tank is this for?

ciaus

Quote from: redbelly on April 15, 2010, 01:03:12 PM
You can actually get magnets with a rubberized coating already on them.
This would probably be your safest bet.  What size tank is this for?

My 70...I know I can buy Mag Floats and other commercially available units but I wanted to see, if like so many things it can be done for much less money, and just a little creative effort.

Ciaus

redbelly

Yeah you can certainly build one cheaper. There is no question about that.

When the magnet disconnects inside the tank and sinks to the bottom its a real PITA.
So if you build one yourself make sure it floats!

The large rubberized magnetic plates though are like $15 each. So 2 of these will be $30, which is the same price as a mag float...

JetJumper

Quote from: ciaus on April 15, 2010, 01:09:32 PM
My 70...I know I can buy Mag Floats and other commercially available units but I wanted to see, if like so many things it can be done for much less money, and just a little creative effort.

Ciaus

ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/For-Fish-Aquarium-Magnetic-Powered-Brush-Cleaner_W0QQitemZ270561749075QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efebca853#ht_2573wt_1165

I got one of these for the hell of it.  It works for glass that is under 12mm thick.  I tried it on my 12mm thick tank, no luck.  but 6mm glass works great.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

redbelly

ciaus

JetJumper

The one from ebay.  Yes it does.

ordi260

Bought a couple of them off ebay about a year ago...they are blue...no brand on it, they are just fine...mine does float too

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

Contains Moose

Buying from Ebay does not constitute DIY :)

Hookup

Quote from: Contains Moose on April 15, 2010, 07:15:41 PM
Buying from Ebay does not constitute DIY :)

Someone is reading my mind... LOL...   It's got to be hard to DIY things as they get down in price... A noble effort...

FYI, a hard-drive has powerful magnets in it.  If you have some old busted harddrive you can scam the magnets out of them for 0$!

JetJumper

Quote from: Hookup on April 15, 2010, 08:01:35 PM
Someone is reading my mind... LOL...   It's got to be hard to DIY things as they get down in price... A noble effort...

FYI, a hard-drive has powerful magnets in it.  If you have some old busted harddrive you can scam the magnets out of them for 0$!

I will come back to this post in a while, but I will make a DIY one.  I have Rare earth magnets at home from my highschool science project of a model Maglev Train. 

JetJumper