Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquaclear and feeding

Started by Rick, March 12, 2004, 09:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Hi
   I would like to know if most people turn off their aquaclear filters when feeding the fish.
Thanks, Richard

ambushman2j

nope.  the fish should be eating the food before the food gets anywhere near your filter intake

Rick

Thanks abushman2j
As I have many bottom feeders, I have been letting the food sink down for them. I turn the filter off for about fifteen minutes after feeding.

ambushman2j

I have bottom feeders too, I find very little gets sucked up, but it's a 77 gallon tank, so it may be different in a smaller tank, but also, feeding larger bottom feeder pellets would fix that problem as well

artw

I agree with drew... if anything the filter will make it easier for lazier fish to get food (it will blow flakes around the tank for them)
in fact in my African tanks I purposely throw food into the filter so everyone gets food (aggression etc.)

luvfishies

If you're worried, cut an "X" in an aquaClear sponge and slide it over the intake of the filter. Particles will be trapped against the sponge, where the fish can nibble.

This is also a great way to keep the innards of the filter clean, as you only have to rinse the "prefilter" when doing maintenance, rather than removing the cage and guts each time.

Rick

Hi luvfishies
   Now I love this idea but instead of going out and purchasing a new aquaclear sponge, I'll just buy a round one, one of those sponges that go with the suspended sponge filters. And as you state it would reduce the amount of times that I'd have to remove and rinse the insides. I have several small aquaclear filters and I will try same idea in baby livebearer tanks. They will also be able to nibble on the sponges where mico-organisms will collect.
Thanks,
Richard

Julie

I use the Elite Sponge Filter Replacements - 2 for $6.99 at Big Als.
I think these are the ones Rick is referring too.