Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

building a tank

Started by jon1985, April 30, 2010, 10:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon1985

I have been looking for a particular size of tank and not having much luck finding what I want.  So I think I may look into making the tank myself.

I am a cabinet maker by trade so have access to all the equipment I would need once I have the glass peices.

So before I go and order glass I have a few questions for anyone who has made a tank before?

The tank will be roughly 40"long 22" tall and 22" wide (84 gallons)

I think I will make it out of 3/8" glass.

Questions:
1-does the bottom go inside the front, back and sides? or does the front, back and sides sit ontop of the bottom?

2-I want a rimless tank, is there anything extra involved in making the tank strong enough?

Any thing I missed?

Thanks

JetJumper

Hey Jon,

My tall tank that I have the sides are on the bottom with the bottom butting up to it.  The front and back are on top of the bottom piece.  This is 12mm thick glass.  Its Rimless. 
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

jon1985

total cost for materials for the tank including polishing is $300 tax in.  Was quoted $550 to have the same tank built.  So now the question is how long will it take me to build this tank and will it be worth saving $250????

JetJumper

just setup a wood jig, silicone, and walk away for 2 days while it cures :)  You got the space :P
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

RossW

Quote from: jon1985 on April 30, 2010, 03:54:04 PM
total cost for materials for the tank including polishing is $300 tax in.  Was quoted $550 to have the same tank built.  So now the question is how long will it take me to build this tank and will it be worth saving $250????

For the piece of mind, I would have a professional build it.

Can you not settle for a 120g, 48x24x24?

johnrt

This looks like about 30 square feet of 3/4 inch glass, cut to size (roughly equivalent to 3 sheets of 2' x 4' and 2 sheets of 2' x 2', cut and edge polished) for $300 or $10 / square foot.

Where did you get this quote? This is a very good price. Thank you.

QueensU

John, he said 3/8 not 3/4.

johnrt

Thank you QueensU. I should read with more care.

Still a very good price and I would like to know the supplier.

QueensU

true true, not a bad price.

jon1985

That price is dicounted because the cabinet company I work for orders glass from them on a regular basis, this is not a retail price.