Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

aquaclear 70 filter or HOB fuge?

Started by SOOstrong, May 04, 2010, 01:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SOOstrong

I came across this thread on RC and was wondering if you guys think its better i stay with the aquaclear 70 as a filter or change it into a HOB fuge and lose it as a filter altogether?

75 gallon tank btw.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=601201

Vincenzo.

For a 75g tank? ...

do u have a skimmer? If so u could get away with just LR and skimmer, and make the fuge. And add a carbon bag too.  But having poly wool is always nice too. If ur a good diy'er..get a small piece or 2 of plastic and caulk it into 2-3 chamber, so u can have, wool, carbon, chaeto all in 1... And if ur even better use all black plastic..build a tiny hood over the chaeto with some 1w leds and have it ona reverse cycle at night. The hoods to block the light.

First off the ac70 is that the 110older model? U want the biggest ac none the less. The biggest one, new is around 100$ i think..

soleil1980

do you only have the ac70 on your 75 gal?  its not enough....  I would get at least an ac110 which is about 90$ at big als...  I shopped around and they have the best price. 
60g guppies, female bettas, bushynose plecos, cories, apistos
2 x 5.5g male bettas
10g bredding tank for bettas,
2.5g male betta
20g, divided with babies (bettas, plecos and cories)

bitterman

I did that for my sons 12 gallon using an ac70.... So far so good but only running for about week so far.

Bruce

SOOstrong

I have a skimmer on my tank,

my fluval 404 broke down so im using my ac70 atm.

I think i might just convert it to a fuge and ill probably try what you said vince. whgere can i find that poly wool?

ordi260

Hey im gonna start building the same thing this weekend...lets make a countest!!! :D

No seriously the idea of 1W led in the cover is awesome  ;)

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

Vincenzo.

u can get the poly wool at Micheal's, Fabric Land, any fabric store.. the stuff they pack pillows with.. either type is fine............quoted from Redbelly and John RT from SS "dont get the cotton because it degrades faster" .... "does not matter if you get cotton, since you should be changing it before it degrades" ..... so either type is fine to use, just none with dyes and stuff like that..