Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Reef tank on UPS???

Started by ordi260, May 04, 2010, 04:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canoe

Quote from: JetJumper on May 05, 2010, 09:32:38 PM
Its ideal for your situation to keep it running incase of those pesky 5-30 minute power outages.  :)

is three anything practical for longer outages, like half a day, or even two days?

any point in having something like three UPS of increasing capacity?:

• lowest capacity UPS - low priority items - so everything stays up and doesn't have to be reset for the pesky 5-10 minute outages, (controllers, monitors, lights, skimmers, etc. - everything not covered below)
  • next larger capacity - covering pumps (keep closed-loop & sump-return, or fall back to sump-return?) and ? to maintain core health with minimal stress to flora/fauna/chemistry (if those terms apply to aquatics)  (possibly night lights? to minimize stress?)
  • largest capacity - covering bare essentials (heater & small pump?) to give you the maximum time for a 'keep-it-alive' chance

If running a small keep-it-alive pump, would you want that closed-loop, sump-return, or a simple fail-safe pump that turns on when the power's out to take from the display tank and drop it right back in for some circulation and maximum oxygination? Would it make sense to have both an air pump and small circulation pump?

Is there a "Best Practices" already developed for this?

I take it is is obvious that if one had a monitoring system that emailed you when there was a problem, you'd need a UPS for the system, computer and modem, etc., so that email could get out...

mikerobart

Another thing to consider is that the AC current produced by some cheap UPS units comes as a square wave rather than a true sine wave. Some pumps will not like this, won't work, and will appear to the UPS as being overloaded.. can cause issues.

RossW

Quote from: JetJumper on May 05, 2010, 09:32:38 PM
Its ideal for your situation to keep it running incase of those pesky 5-30 minute power outages.  :)

IMHO, your tank will do perfectly fine for an hour or two without power.  Mine recently survived approx. 12 hours without heat, circulation, etc.  The only thing I had was a couple battery operated air pumps.

If you only get a couple hours coverage from a UPS, I would not go to the expense and bother.  Get a couple battery operated air pumps for less.

If you want coverage, go with a generator.

ciaus

I think that the use of a UPS for life maintaining critical devices is a good thing, so any UPS is better than none at all.  One thing that is important to note about most of the retail UPS products on the market, they are also excellent protection for brown outs too.  Brown outs will actually take out more hardware than most black outs...

hth

ciaus

JetJumper

Very True about brown outs.  Especially if you live in Kanata / Bell's Corners.  Its notorious for that.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

karjean

The idea is good but the load you are taking to operate will redue the time. As mentioned your basic life support should be plugged in only. You have to fire how much kilowatts or VA is consumed then on the manufacturer website you can see how long you will have power. The old the batteries are the less it will hold the charge. I do work with UPS systems and they can be finicky. I would prefer a generator to he UPS.

dan2x38

Few years back Ct had a Noma Backup Power Supply reg. $500 for 1/2 price. It supplied 400w (I think). Any ways I bought it knowing it can be returned in 30 days anyways.

At the time I had several tanks in the livingroom (FW). As a test I connected the HOB filters mostly 3 x AC70s & 3 heaters 1 150w 2 x 200w. The Power Supply was fully charged. I ran them for less than 90 minutes and the Power Supply started beeping it needed to be recharged.

Now the water hadn't cooled I just plugged the filters and heaters in with extension cords. So if the power had been off for awhile and the room was colder it would have the heaters on longer. The AC filters use very little power I forget the specs now.

My conclusion was to return the PS and eventually buy a generator. You'd have to have an awefully nasty UPS to supply a SW tank power for even PHs, heater, return & skimmer for anything over an hour.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

JetJumper

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SURTD3000XLT-1TF3

APC Smart-UPS RT 3000VA 208V Rackmount/Tower UPS w/208V to 120V Stepdown Transformer
Price: $2636.00
Smart Ups Rt 192v Battery
Price: $871.00

Total Cost: $6120.00 + tax for 1000+ minutes.

Go big or go home right?  Isn't that the Salt Water Tank way? :P  hahaha!
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

ordi260

Quote from: JetJumper on May 08, 2010, 05:22:23 PM
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SURTD3000XLT-1TF3

APC Smart-UPS RT 3000VA 208V Rackmount/Tower UPS w/208V to 120V Stepdown Transformer

SOLD!!! lol  ;D

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

ciaus

Quote from: JetJumper on May 08, 2010, 05:22:23 PM
If you really want to get a UPS get the correct model based upon the power that will be supplied to the UPS.  This one uses 220v, like your electric range and clothes dryer.  You would get more bang for your buck buying a unit designed for use with 110v circuits.  Here is a link to Appendix A of the IBM Configuration and Options guide for IBM servers, there is a section there that deals exclusively with UPS systems.  (Note: IBM rebrands APC UPS models)

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/xbc/cog/appendixA/appxupsruntime.html

hth

Ciaus

Brent Shaver

I have been looking into this as well and knowing it only takes a car accident to cause an area to loose power for up to 8 hours if a transformer is taken out, this doesnt even take into account for mother nature and lightning.

I have decided I will just watch for a used gas generator, alot of people bought these in the ice storm and still have them but slowly they become avalible.

Unless it is a short term power failure most UPS units wont cut it, and buying 3 is a costly gamble the power will come back in time.

If we have a long power failure I would lose just under $1000 and I am not even in the SW game which would be much more I am sure.

Small units are not that expensive new, and even better used.  A gas powered unit is the only safe option, everything else is a gamble.

One of my tenants lost his power for 2 days because they put his money on the wrong account, a mistake but non the less if he was in the hobby what would have happened?

ordi260

Taking all of that into account...i will go with the gas generator way!!!

Ill be able to run everything as normally if any major power outage happens...and a couple of other applicances for convenience!

The only thing important to keep in mind is to install a carbon monoxide detector in the house and to always use the generators at a good distance of the house, out of reach of any input air vent.

I know eveybody knows it  ;)  but many friends of mine are paramedics and police officers and every years drama's of that sort happen again and again...

What strenght should i aim for???

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

Brent Shaver

It wouldnt have to be that large.  Keep in mind a full size fridge will hold its temp for at least an hour if not opened in an outage.  So you would only need to run it for 15 every hour and a half to ensure food doesnt spoil.

As far as running this type of unit in the house is a serious no no. It should be outside in a case like this $4 in screen and a bit of duct tape allows you to have this unit outside and safe from fire or carbon intake.

If you want to run an extention pipe from the exhaust I would suggest going to get a small diameter flexable exhaust hose (simular to what they use in a garage for a car).  They are inexpensive and will allow a good distance from fumes.

If you are looking for one sooner then later I would suggest making some calls.  Welding shops are one profession that uses this type of unit often and they have to upgrade often.  These have more then enough power and usually are cheap.  Just because they wont run a welding unit for a 4 hour job doesnt mean it cant handle the odd use for home power outage.

I havent looked in a while but you can also check Princess Auto, they tend to have very competitve prices, I just havent priced any generators.

Hope this helps
Brent

Canoe

I've been warned that the larger 110VAC ones require a dedicated 20A or even a 30A receptacle.

karjean

One thing never mentionned, is the life of the batteries in the UPS is usually for a 5 year span. Then the cost for the replaccement of the UPS batteries and possible the disposal. All to take under consideration.