Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Reef Tank Size

Started by Nelson, August 21, 2005, 04:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nelson

I know the larger the better, but what would be a good size for a reef tank?  I plan on making the move in a couple of months.

DARKPHREAK

It all depends on what your planning to keep. So read up on the different corals and fish that interest you and then make the plunge. If it were me doing it all over again, I would start with a 180g because there is alot of space for adding corals and fish. I know its BIG but you will eventually want bigger sometime, why not just get it now.

Nelson

Quote from: "DARKPHREAK"It all depends on what your planning to keep. So read up on the different corals and fish that interest you and then make the plunge. If it were me doing it all over again, I would start with a 180g because there is alot of space for adding corals and fish. I know its BIG but you will eventually want bigger sometime, why not just get it now.

...good advice, you've been there haven't you :wink:

DARKPHREAK

Been there for sure. Maybe you could start with a small 75g and get 2x MH and 2xVHO using Tar(mh) and IceCap(vho) for the lighting, this way when you want to upgrade to a longer/bigger tank you'd just need 1 more Tar and 6 foot vho bulbs using the other ballast from the smaller tank. You saw my tank, not very big but when I upgrade to the 180g I wont need to buy much to get it running.

Nelson

Quote from: "DARKPHREAK"Been there for sure. Maybe you could start with a small 75g and get 2x MH and 2xVHO using Tar(mh) and IceCap(vho) for the lighting, this way when you want to upgrade to a longer/bigger tank you'd just need 1 more Tar and 6 foot vho bulbs using the other ballast from the smaller tank. You saw my tank, not very big but when I upgrade to the 180g I wont need to buy much to get it running.

I've spent some time plotting out my fish room based on your recommendation of 180.  I think that's what I'm going to aim for.  Means moving some tanks around, selling one or two, and moving my gas hot water tank.....can't wait for that estimate :cry:  It's going to be a late fall, early winter project so I have a lot of time to find a tank, skimmer, sump etc.  From what I've seen of your project I hope I can call on you for advice as I stumble along.

FishPassion

Hi Nelson,

Smiling at u from here , so you are taking the plunge, the advice you have been given is correct. I started a with a 50 and added another 50  which ended up in twice the equipment etc and still no room LOL. Once you get the salt itch you wont look at Fresh water much any more although I still keep a few. Remember its pricey but you can find alot of pvt deals. I imagine you will e like the rest of the reefers that end up at marinescape etc part cash and the rest on visa or interac......the wife doest see as much that way, and dont forget if she asks its $20.00 .
Good luck and take your time it takes alot of patience.
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

DARKPHREAK

One suggestion is to buy the tank where I told you they were cheap( and if you ever call them, ask for a multi tank price, yours and mine kinda deal maybe). The rest from that gentleman in Hull, you'll need about 200 pounds live rock plus whatever amount your sump would be and he'll give you a really good deal. Just take your time and ask everyone alot of questions. Cheak out http://www.reefcentral.com/ for many good ideas. Good luck and I cant wait to see your progress.

gvv

On the other side:
http://aquariacanada.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8218
Reef in a glass... 0.75 gallon tank!? :shock:

Nelson

Thanks everyone for the useful advice.  Yes, patience is one virtue I'll have to develop, but I know now that it's going to be painfully difficult to resist the rush to stock :)

A lot of decisions to be made and a lot of tactical maneuvering with the bride :wink:  She's very much into color so it may not be a very difficult sell.  

It's a winter project and I'll be drawing on your obvious expertise more than once for sure.

Thanks again....Nelson