Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

PVC: heat bending?

Started by Canoe, May 15, 2010, 10:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canoe

I used to do custom bends in electrical PVC, using a propane torch or a BBQ. Tricky to make sure you didn't burn it, but worked quite well.

As a long gentle curve should be less drag than a 90 degree elbow, as anyone tried heat bending Schedule 40 PVC (or 80)?

Is the PVC strong enough afterward?

RossW

I recall seeing a video which used a industrial kinda heating pad to wrap around the PVC, and had filled it with sand with taped ends.

Found it, the video is here:
http://www.reefvideos.com/

ciaus

you should watch the TV program, "Canada's Worst Handy Man"... :D

Heating of PVC or ABS is: "Never a good idea." :-X

ciaus

karjean

If you go to the Electricl supplier, they have springs now you put it in the PVC pipe and bent it without heating it. I never used it since i left the trade before they became popular. Some electrician friend, they tell me they do work extremely well. I do not know if they can be used with ABS.

10gnano

just use 2 45's  it makes a nice gradual bend

Canoe

Quote from: ciaus on May 15, 2010, 04:23:05 PM
... "Canada's Worst Handy Man"... Heating of PVC or ABS is: "Never a good idea." :-X
Let me guess. They set it on fire...

Quote from: RossW on May 15, 2010, 03:57:44 PM
I recall seeing a video which used a industrial kinda heating pad to wrap around the PVC, and had filled it with sand with taped ends.http://www.reefvideos.com/
Interesting, but expensive to get the pad. Used to bend brake line with salt inside. Salt would probably work for PVC pipe too, but I wonder where we could ever get enough salt...   ;-)

Quote from: karjean on May 15, 2010, 05:04:50 PM
...Electricl supplier, they have springs now you put it in the PVC pipe and bent it without heating...

Instead of sand or salt, could be a faster/cleaner way of supporting the pipe while you bend it. The electrical PVC pipe is softer than Schedule 40/80, but the spring could be an excellent internal support while you heat. Wonder what they cost...

Thanks all

I guess previously heated PVC would be fine for a return, but would it still be strong enough for something under pressure, like a return-to-display line?

karjean

I did forgot to mention, the spring is used on a cold bend. You do not need to heat the PVC pipe.

Jean

Vincenzo.

pvc and abs is bendable with a heat gun. i see it at work all the time. but they have a machine (big toaster) for bigger/longer bends...

the canada worst handy man episode, when the dude heated it and tried to bend it was a 'no no' because he had already used Weld-On, on his joints.. and made noxious fumes from heating the glue.

Canoe

Quote from: karjean on May 16, 2010, 04:10:42 PM
I did forgot to mention, the spring is used on a cold bend. You do not need to heat the PVC pipe.
But wasn't that the electrical PVC? Much thinner?

Contains Moose

How tight a bend do you need? heating and bending will not affect the strength, most if not all the pipe we use is complete overkill for the pumps we use, you could likely plumb most tanks with the plastic bags that fishing poles get shipped in.

Brent Shaver

What guage of PVC are you planning on using?  Being in irrigation for years I have personally installed well over 100 miles of the stuff would never consider bending it more then the pipe will without using heat or any other source.  There is too many commercial and custom coupler, joints and angles to create pretty much anything you are trying to accomplish.  For some ideas you can look up Rainbird Irrigation, Toro Irrigation to name a couple and there is more.

Just remember if you bend this type of piping, the one thing to keep in mind inorder to bend it means you have to stretch the top of the bend to a stressing point and thicken the bottom of the bend to cause resisitance in water flow.  For example if you are using 40 gauge and bend it with heat to 40 degrees you have reduced over half of the pipe in that bend to around a 10 guage.  So if you did actually need 40 guage you would actually need 120 guage to work as well for the water pressure in question.

If you are trying to do a horse shoe bend to replace a couple 45 degree couples I wouldnt personally suggest it.  Large diameter hose would be as good and easier for sure