Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

cleaning a floor tank.

Started by Rob Labonte, May 16, 2010, 06:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Labonte

so, one of my tanks is on the floor. well...6 inches off the floor.

problem is, i cant siphon very well. i can do water changes. but as the fish get bigger, its getting harder to siphon up the poop. i tried my bigger siphon, i t worked a bit better but still not well.

any suggestions?

Vincenzo.

attach ur siphon to a power head?

mikerobart

I used to have this hand powered gravel cleaner with a filter bag on it... Was awesome but haven't been able to find another like it. Basically a rubber bulb you squeezed and it sucked up water, emptied bag through a filter bag that fitted over the output. You had complete control over what size particles you wanted to siphon up and it removed 0 water. For wc's I'd use what Vince suggested or a shop vac.

ciaus

Your siphon, is it gravity only, or are you using a python type device that uses a venturi effect created by tap water flowing past the hose at a tap?  If you keep your hose length to a minimum I have found the "pythonesq" devices work pretty well.  There was another thread that was discussing power vacuum, but you would do just as well to rig up the intake of a canister filter and use the canister to spot clean the tank...

hth

Ciaus

Rob Labonte

I dont have a power head and dont know how i would hook that up.

I was using 2 different pythons. one that has the 1 inch diameter tube and the biggest one the 2-4 inch one. neither worked.

but, i def' feel stupid now, because my tank is running on  a canister filter. so I took the above advice and used my intake to clean. I took the strainer off and used it to suck the poop up.

yep, def feel dumb I never thought of just using my own filter to clean the bottom of the tank. funny thing too, is that the fluval filter im using....the intake/out hoses resemble vaccum cleaner hoses.

thank for the input guys. tank is now clean. :)

freshfishies

I never would have thought of that either! This thread helped me out alot too:)

I was wondering about how you hook up the power head though. How is this done? I have a Koralia and a Marineland. Thanks!

Vincenzo.

^ you would need like a aquaclear power head. or something of that sort.

Rob Labonte

Quote from: Vince. on May 16, 2010, 10:40:40 PM
^ you would need like a aquaclear power head. or something of that sort.

how? why?

oh, i do remember once using a pump out of a whisper filter. the output is perfect size for clear vinyl tubing 1/4 inch?  but it didnt have an input.

how would you rig up a powerhead for cleaning. (for those who may not have canister filters but do have powerheads)