Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

carbon reactor.

Started by omarshabaz, May 20, 2010, 11:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omarshabaz

Hey everyone, Im thinking of building a carbon reactor out of PVC piping, instead of using a pump I want to have one of my overflows feeding the reactor. Would that be allright. I would set it up on the left side overflow of my tank which is very slow as compared to the right side because the return pump is right under the right side and the tank is 6 foot.

Any issues with this besides maybe too much flow.

Thanks

Dan

JetJumper

Quote from: omarshabaz on May 20, 2010, 11:48:43 PM
Any issues with this besides maybe too much flow.

Ball valve and you are good to go!
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

mikerobart

You can always tee off the overflow pipe and then as mentioned use a valve to regulate flow. There is a chance you will have to reduce the flow from your return pipe if your currently at the max that the overflows can handle because the reactor and added plumbing will decrease the flow rate that can come through that one overflow.

JD

One concern would be pluggage/nitrate production. I would think there would be a fair amount of particulate that would plug it up fairly quickly, especially if you feed with flake.

jimskoi

Quote from: JD on May 21, 2010, 09:07:43 AM
One concern would be pluggage/nitrate production. I would think there would be a fair amount of particulate that would plug it up fairly quickly, especially if you feed with flake.

JD is right but when you feed.Shut off your return pump and make sure most of it is cleaned up by the fish.IMO.Pellets are best for feeding anyways.

omarshabaz

Well, I do feed pellet mostly and I always try to shut off the pumps during feeding.. This would be made with a twist off top for easy cleaning and would have something like filter floss on each end so the carbon can be free .

jimskoi

For all the work.Why not just by a used one?They are usually around $35.

Hookup

I suggest T'ing into your return line instead. 

dan2x38

A small power head with it in your sump is much better. Easier to clean and swap out old carbon. An MJ-400 would do the trick. Much better control over the setup over all.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."