Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Summer... and heaters.

Started by Daisy, May 25, 2010, 07:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daisy

Hi Everybody...

With the temperatures close to 30 degrees this week, I thought I'd ask the club whether any of you typically turn off your aquarium heaters in the summertime.

I have 2 tanks (both freshwater, and both typically kept at about 78-80 degrees).  It's possible that if I shut off the heaters, the temperature in the tanks will drop very modestly...  but would this really make a big difference, if it's gradual and only by a little?

Do any of you have winter and summer habits, with your heaters?

Thanks,
Daisy.

Brent Shaver

I keep my heaters on, although I do watch the temp daily.  I keep my place well air conditioned which will bring the water temp down without a heater.

It might not be the norm but this is how I do it.

Nerine

Everyone does something a little different! Some fish NEED to have a stable temperature and others are ok with it changing a bit...My fish go without heaters year round...and I have never lost a fish due to the water being too cold/too hot.

As long as you don't drop the temp several degrees very quickly they should be ok to go without a heater depending on what type of fish you have. I keep guppies, glo-light tetras, catfish and a gourami (now I have other critters too but they are new)

Personally, the only time I have ever used a heater is when I had ich...otherwise I have been electrocuted a couple times due to cheap glass heaters being broken in the water!!

You will have to find out what works best for you with a little experimenting :) Good luck!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

robt18

I always leave mine in and plugged in over the summer, even though my apartment goes up to 30 degrees sometimes. The heaters just never turn on. However, if we have a freak july snowstorm that drops my temp like crazy here, I'm prepared!

Fishnut

I have a tank in my livingroom that is normally at 79. The heater just doesn't turn on. I have one cold water tank in Fishnut Jr.'s room that I'm keeping an eye on though. The AC tends to prevent it from going completely tropical on days like today...whew!!

Daisy

Hi all -  thanks again for this.  The A/C has been broken at my house for years... so I don't have that problem. Still, I'll probably leave them plugged in, with expectation that they won't actually turn on much, over the summer.  Good idea.
tx.

TLe041

I have a 200W Hydor in-line heater that I use on a 4 gallon nano tank, so I definitely unplug the heater.
Tony

ottawa_fry22

Wow, I'm not the only one with tank temperature increase.  Or should I say without a/c atm.  My 75gal reached 90.  :o
I had to cool it down with 10% w/c. cold water added.  Brought it down to 85 at least. 
75 gal planted, t5HO, fine soft sand, powder-form hydroponic fertilizers., 5 viejita apistogramma, 1 Banjo Cat, 1 Rapheal Cat, 3 Emerald Corys, 2 black angels, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 1 molly, 5 SAEs, 2 bolivian ram, 1 kribensis.

20 gal low light sand tank, 4 white cloud mountain minnows.

robt18

If anyone is having trouble with high temperatures in your tanks...

Step 1: make sure it's not your heater on the fritz and overheating like crazy...
Step 2: Place a fan so it's blowing air across the surface of your tank so that it's rippling. This is one of the most effective, cheap ways to bring and keep your temp down that I've found.

kerisb

I have been having the same problem............no a/c here and my tanks are reaching upwards to 86 degrees or higher as 86 is as high as the thermometer goes.   And lots of sunlight and ceramic floors....so the heat holds well.   Although when I got home tonight the heater was set for 24 and the water was 86............the heater was still coming on..........so turned it down to 22.

Will have to keep a close eye on these heaters.

Next question is how will most fish react if the water is too warm.           I would unplug the heaters but don't want the water getting too cold at night and then too hot in the daytime, would rather have it at a somewhat constant.

Dorrie

I remember having this problem once when I still lived with my parents and had a 10 gallon tank ::)
The air exchanger system broke down and the heat got nasty inside.
The fish reacted like the people: they slowed down dramatically. The barely moved (and I had danios, some of the most active swimmers!). When the tank got up to 90 F, I freaked out and put ice cubes in the tank. Turned out the fish loved it :o
They starting swimming again to come dart under the ice. I'm not sure I'd try that again, but it's a fun memory.

That being said, in response to your question, I leave the heaters in during the summer.

Laura

Thanks for the reminder. I tend to turn mine off in the summer. Many of my fish are subtropical or can handle cooler temps for a while, so it's no problem if there's a drop in temperature over the summer.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

karjean

As you can see, everybody has a different experience and are doing it differently, just keep a close eye on the temperature so it will not rise or drop drastically. 8)

White Lightning

As mentioned above. Some fish absolutely NEED a stable temperature while others can handle some fluxuating temps. I have several tanks in my basement where it is a little cooler. One of these tanks (goldfish) I do not use a heater while my other tanks require a stable temperature. (discus & saltwater)

Rob Labonte

Quote from: kerisb on May 25, 2010, 10:32:28 PM

Next question is how will most fish react if the water is too warm.           I would unplug the heaters but don't want the water getting too cold at night and then too hot in the daytime, would rather have it at a somewhat constant.

depends on what type of fish you have. some fish are more sensitive to temperature changes. for example, goldfish can be kept in just about any temp with little difference in behaviour where as cichlids get more aggresive and territorial the hotter the tank is.

and in resones to the original postees question "do you unplug your heaters in the summer?". answer is yes and no.

I unplug my turtletank because the tank temps are the same as what their natural habitat would be anyways. but i keep my african cichlid tank heated.

I know some people who never heat their goldfish tanks and had a friends who had an unheated convict tank in the summer.

wish_Fish

I unplugged my heater on my 10 gallon CPD tank during the warm and steamy days we had a little while ago, the temp reached 80 degree even though the heater was on the minimum possible, and CPD don't appreciate warm water... but boy now the temp dropped to 72. hell out of a drop eh? good thing is that they dont mind cold water at all. tho im plugging my heater back on to maintain a stable 75-76 degree. Lesson learned, dont just unplugged everything just yet and totally forget about it after. haha 

ray

Many controllers such as the ReefKeeper by Digital Aquatics allow you to shut off various items such as lights heater etc.Each item is plugged into the controllable power bar and then you set the temp at which you wish it to shut off at.The RKL Basic Lite is priced at $99 US in most stores

charlie

I`m a bit confused here, why would one unplug/turn off heaters in the summer ?, i`m under the impression the heater has a thermostat control which regulates when the heater comes on - below the pre set it comes on -above the preset it stays off/turn off, if it`s not doing that you need a quality heater.Maybe i`m missing something?

bitterman

Quote from: charlie on June 04, 2010, 09:40:35 AM
I`m a bit confused here, why would one unplug/turn off heaters in the summer ?, i`m under the impression the heater has a thermostat control which regulates when the heater comes on - below the pre set it comes on -above the preset it stays off/turn off, if it`s not doing that you need a quality heater.Maybe i`m missing something?

I'm with Charlie on this on. Otherwise you are going to have wider temperature swings in your tank without a heater.

Bruce

JetJumper

Quote from: bitterman on June 04, 2010, 11:09:41 AM
I'm with Charlie on this on. Otherwise you are going to have wider temperature swings in your tank without a heater.

Bruce

+1
.: JetJumper's Zone :.