Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Painted glass in saltwater?

Started by dan2x38, May 25, 2010, 11:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

Doing a V style C2C over flow. I was planning on smoked glass. Would it be toxic if I used paint on the glass. Would the snails or anything else scrap the paint off? Thought I could paint the inside of the glass same colour as the background. It would blend in better than smoked glass and still hide the bulkheads. I will have egg crate on top of over flow to prevent fish & large snails getting into the over flow.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Brent Shaver

Dan you can get blue tint glass, same as regular tinted, I believe it is dark and then wouldnt have to worry about wear or toxins

Just an idea

dan2x38

I want it the same colour as the back though. If it is different shade kind of defeats the purpose I think.

I priced the glass it x3 the price. The cost for the clear piece I need is $45 the blue is $123. Thing he said it is an aqua colour... :) He suggested I could use acrylic? have to brace the middle I think it would bow in the middle at 4' long.
Voltaire:

RossW

You need to be very careful with acrylic and warping!!!  IMHO, I would use glass, glass, or glass.  Your choice.

Quote from: dan2x38 on May 25, 2010, 04:07:12 PM
I want it the same colour as the back though. If it is different shade kind of defeats the purpose I think.

I priced the glass it x3 the price. The cost for the clear piece I need is $45 the blue is $123. Thing he said it is an aqua colour... :) He suggested I could use acrylic? have to brace the middle I think it would bow in the middle at 4' long.

Rybren

120G Reef

dan2x38

Quote from: Rybren on May 25, 2010, 08:30:26 PM
Why not use glass?  :D

Check out the complete thread. I am trying to match the colour of the coast to coast to the colour of background. This is to hide the bulkheads or anything visible in the over flow. Coloured glass is very expensive. of course it is my first choice... BUT?
Voltaire:

Quatro

I've never done anything like this before so keep that in mind.  When someone makes a plywood tank they paint the inside then coat with some sort of aquarium safe polyurethane.  Could you paint the glass then do something similar?

dan2x38

I could try that maybe I'll Google that topic... :) Good thinking... half the time it is just knowing what to search for. There is no glass paint that I know of. In today's day and age there are more and more eco friendly products. You'd think there must be something safe out there. the other thing is making sure it does not lift up or flake off after all this is glass.
Voltaire:

Brent Shaver

If you are going to consider trying to paint the background on the inside, make sure you are able to use the tool of choice in something that shallow.  Should this not be a problem couldnt you get another sheet of glass cut the same size as the inside of your tank.  put this tight to the background and then just silicone it in like you were replacing the glass.  This would offer a clear barrier that would keep the water from the background and paint.

Just an idea but cant see how it wouldnt work as long as the surface remained flat to the glass.

RossW

A wise man posted a few days ago about cutting corners on cheaper substrate and risking thousands of dollars of tank stock.

I would not use acrylic, and I would not put anthing painted into my tank.

Quote from: dan2x38 on May 25, 2010, 09:51:38 PM
Coloured glass is very expensive. of course it is my first choice... BUT?

RossW

Tremclad paint on glass will not lift or flake.  In fact, I recently changed he colour of the back of my tank and it took many razor blades and lots of elbow grease to get the old paint off.  I was surprised at how well the paint had adhered.

Quote from: dan2x38 on May 25, 2010, 10:07:31 PM
There is no glass paint that I know of. In today's day and age there are more and more eco friendly products. You'd think there must be something safe out there. the other thing is making sure it does not lift up or flake off after all this is glass.

dan2x38

With more research I found these products Klenk's Epoxy Enamel and Krylon Epoxy Enamel. They are often used in plywood tanks to paint the insides of them. I did find several references that people were using it and had used it for years safely no issue with there fish including marine.

Krylon is listed as sold at Home Depot and Rona. On the Klenk's product website Preston Hardware was listed as a supplier. I think it is time for a hardware store road trip... LOL If I can find a colour suiting my background I will use one of these.

This stuff is extremely strong it is used to do touch ups on tubs, sinks etc. It is also baby safe so it is used to cover furniture on quality good baby furniture. I bet a can is expensive though but still be cheaper than $125 for piece of  coloured 5 mil glass 4' x 8".

I will post the results of my tour of the hardware stores regarding price and colours.
Voltaire:

dan2x38

Next step to my upgrade was to drop off my tank to get drilled. Fish Tail Aquariums will be drilling my tank they did my last one. OH special thanks to Brine (Brian) for the help! They also have the bulkheads. Any ways while in Orleans stopped at Lowes they didn't have the products previously mentioned.

As an update though another product used by a lot of folks is 'Krylon Fusion' which is much cheaper easier to find, comes in spray cans and has a large array of colours. There are tons of references of ppl using it and in saltwater without any issues.

I think my search as ended up. I will follow up with still more research but if anyone has heard to the contray please let me know but post the thread too please.
Voltaire:

johnrt

Thank you Dan.

I had been thinking about using paint, but had not done any research yet.

dan2x38

I think I found the paints and colours I will use to paint the back of the tank outside and matching colour for the coast to coast piece of glass inside. I've searched tons of sites believe me.  :D

There are several things listed as save like Polyurethane varnish (oil based) let cure for several days. It dries to a plastic finish and is inert. It is listed as food safe and toy safety regulation for kids. I found many sites where people used this to treat their driftwood so it would not leach tanins into the water plus other uses. There is a satin finishes so it is not glossy so it looks natural.

But I am going to use Liquitex 'BASICS' permanent acrylic paint. Will use the colour 'Bright Aqua Green'. The true acrylic paint hardens to acrylic but you must let it set for several days. I would do it for 7 days for the final coat. There are many colours to chose from and it is sold at Wallacks on Bank St. for $6. I found many sites where people used it to paint their backgrounds, decorations and other items added to there aquariums. In many of these projects no one coated the paint but I will for the coast to coast piece only.

I will coat the Liquitex 'BASICS' to help prevent any chipping. For this I am going to use 'Krylon Fusion' clear coat available at Rona, Home Depot, Walmart and Candian Tire for approx. $8. A ton of sites recommended this paint and many have used it for years with no affects. Many have used it on the PVC in saltwater tanks to change the colour on their overflows. It is fully chip resistant after 7 days.

I really wanted a one spray can single application but they didn't quite have the colour I wanted in the Krylon Fusion. It will be a bit of a pain doing the back...  ::)
Voltaire:

dan2x38

Man it is hard to find the colour I want or paint. Actually went to all the carriers or Krylon Fusion to find the clear coat but no one had it. Finally went to Home Hardware they are able to order it. It is on sale this week from $7.99 to $5.99.

There is another opition too. Rust-o-Luem Epoxy for Appliances comes in pints of white @ Rona it sells for $17. The guy at the desk would tint it for me but said he'd have to mark it no return. It is not an item they usually is tinted. He also said for very dark colours they'd not be able to get it very dark. But as for greater colour choices and reasonable price this is a good opition. You apply with a foam roller.
Voltaire: