Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Coast to Coast coloured glass

Started by dan2x38, May 25, 2010, 07:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

Want to hide the bulkheads in my internal overflow. First wanted smoked glass for the 'V' sytle C2C. Then thought it would stand out to much since I will be painting the back a blue colour. Did check on coloured glass it is x3 the price ($125) so that is a little steep.

New brain wave... instead of 1 x 5mil piece what about 2 x 3 mil pieces? Paint the one side same colour as the back glass then glue to the pieces together. This would prevent any potential leaching or chipping of the paint.

If I was do this what glue would you use to seal them together? How would you prevent air bubbles?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

garnpet

How large of a piece of glass do you need?  Have you tried finding junk pieces from a stained glass store?

http://www.stainedglassstuff.com/aboutsgs/location.php

1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

Rybren

The other option is to cover the glass with a sheet of coloured acrylic - I believe that this is what Pat has done on his tank.

Canus Plastics has reasonable prices.  You should be able to pick up a 1/8" piece of acrylic at a decent price.  Note that Canus has moved from Lisgar St to someplace near Princess Auto.
120G Reef

dan2x38

That is an idea too. I know Canus well... :) That too could work.

I am still not sure what I would use to seal it or another piece of glass together. I would not want any air bubbles. It would very important to prevent any water getting in there as algae would get in there. It has to be sealed water tight.

I think it would be very cool you would not see the back at all it would hide everything perfectly.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."