Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hamburg Mattenfilter supplies and URLs

Started by johnrt, May 31, 2010, 09:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnrt

The contact information is:

Engineered Foam Products Canada
111-B Snidercroft Road
Concord,Ontario
Canada
L4K 2J8

Tel: +1 905-695-0640
Fax: +1 905-695-0532

The URL, with a not very informative web site: www.engineeredfoam.com

See also: http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret%20Filter%20Foam.html
US supplier of foam. Somewhat expensive.

and

http://www.janrigter.nl/mattenfilter/ for English theory.

Brent Shaver

Thanks for the links and quick posts.  I am going to look into doing this for my cichlid tank, but will use the under tank method as I dont want to loose the realestate with the in tank verson.

fischkopp

This used to be the number one page for the Hamburger Mattenfilter, and a lot more. It has got a face lift lately, so I don't know if some of that valuable information has gone missing. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.deters-ing.de

Use the translator at your own risk - or just ask. :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

johnrt

The URL: http://www.janrigter.nl/mattenfilter/ is and older translation of the current page at http://www.deters-ing.de. It seems to have the same information and is easier to read than the machine translation.

Nerine

I would love to do this...wondering if anyone else would be interested as well? Maybe we could hold an OVAS workshop? Someone buys all the supplies at once and then everyone who attends brings $$'s to pay for their supplies (so we don't all have to buy a sheet of foam ;) ) and have a workshop!
Anyone else game???
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Brent Shaver

As long as I am not on call for the date I am in for sure, I still have to do the math to figure out what size tank I will be using.  Also I have access to a room that is Air Conditioned that we could use for FREE.  I can also bring over my BBQ and we could even do up some burgers or something.

Only problem with this room is we are not allowed the good drinks but might even be able to work something out for that one as well.

Great Idea Nerine..
Keep me posted.

bitterman

I'd like to do this. I am seriously thinking of doing this for the 2 125s i am going to setup so I can isolate them from my sumped central system if I need. Also redundancy in power failures in case the trickle filter goes south.

Bruce

Nerine

Or we can hold it at someone's house...bring beer, food, have a look at that person's tanks etc!

Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

johnrt

I was just talking with Kevin from Engineered Foam. The sheets are generally 52" x 72" which is 27 square feet each. Anybody planning a 2000 gallon tank?

They have a product called T15M, which is made for aquariums. It is 15 pores per inch (ppi) that 'everybody uses'.

They also have a different food grade product, which 'some people' use ( ??? so 'everybody' is a subset of 'some people'?).
At any rate, it comes in 10 ppi, 20 ppi, 30 ppi (blue or yellow) and 45 ppi (charcoal gray).

Kevin is making up a quote on full sheets 1 1/2" thick, for T15M, 10, 30 & 45 ppi sheets. I will report when I get the quote.

We can then shift over to group purchases when it is time to order.  John T

Nerine

washefuzzy

I also very interested to do this. Burgers and red wine would be a great addition to the workshop.

FishBuddy

Thanks for doing the inquiries for us johnrt...  I am also very interested in building a few HMF for my 2 40G breeders.  We could certainly do a group order on this :)

Quote from: johnrt on June 01, 2010, 03:49:20 PM
I was just talking with Kevin from Engineered Foam. The sheets are generally 52" x 72" which is 27 square feet each. Anybody planning a 2000 gallon tank?

They have a product called T15M, which is made for aquariums. It is 15 pores per inch (ppi) that 'everybody uses'.

They also have a different food grade product, which 'some people' use ( ??? so 'everybody' is a subset of 'some people'?).
At any rate, it comes in 10 ppi, 20 ppi, 30 ppi (blue or yellow) and 45 ppi (charcoal gray).

Kevin is making up a quote on full sheets 1 1/2" thick, for T15M, 10, 30 & 45 ppi sheets. I will report when I get the quote.

We can then shift over to group purchases when it is time to order.  John T

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

fischkopp

I am in for a sheet.  :D

Do they have any thicker sheets?
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

wandmangels

i would Definately be in for a workshop on this....if i could only figure out the Calculations....

johnrt

> I am in for a sheet.  :D
>
> Do they have any thicker sheets?

If you want a whole sheet, you're the boss. Choose your ppi, 10, 15, 20, 30, 45, 60 and thickness and you have it. Well. . . If it is much over 4" it cannot be rolled and it needs to $hip flat. Twenty seven square feet of flat is costly, even if it is thin!

johnrt

Hi all:

I will be placing an order for the Hamburg Mattenfilter foam from Engineered Foam Products Canada on Tuesday. The estimate they supplied is without shipping, sigh, so I will call them back Monday and see if I can get some kind of idea of the full cost. My best guess, based on a recent order of bulky stuff from elsewhere is between $6 and $10 per square foot, specifically:
T15M (15 ppi, everybody uses) 1.5" thick, $6.50 / square foot
A30   (30 ppi, good for fry) 1.5" thick, $6.00 / square foot
45 ppi (good for small fry, but will clog quickly, weeks or months) 1.5" thick, $10 / square foot.

Thicker sheets will be proportionally more expensive, but they custom cut each sheet to thickness, so same 'mounting' cost. Sheets thicker than 4" ship flat, not rolled, so are very expensive!

I plan to get a sheet for each size ordered and will sell by the square foot estimated above. I have uses for the surplus. I will talk with them on Monday and if my estimates of wildly off, I will repost corrections. Participants can view the paperwork.

PM me directly.  John T   =   johnrt

PS. I leave it to somebody else to arrange the build party.  Thank you.
PPS I will copy this post to Group Orders

Nerine

How soon did everyone want to get together?

Brent Shaver

I am going to order now, but will not be doing the build until the fall.  I am going to use a sump for this application to keep realstate in my planted tank.

limmer

I thought Udo said 20 PPI was what he recommended?

bitterman

Quote from: limmer on June 07, 2010, 09:09:18 AM
I thought Udo said 20 PPI was what he recommended?

I thought so also. Like I posted in the group order thread

"So who all wants the 20 ppi? I think I would like a sheet i'm thinking of going 2" as I need the stability for my big tanks."

Bruce