Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

what do you think of the python?

Started by highliner, June 02, 2010, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highliner

I have been reading and considering this for a while and surprisingly did not find much about the topic under this forum page, but what do you guys think of the python (or python like aparatus) pos and neg reviews plz  :) thanks in advance

fischkopp

It's like starting to walk upright: it will change your life.  :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

garnpet

The best thing since sliced bread.

The general story on the python is they work great, but most people feel a bit guilty about the water that is wasted when using one.

For me, fortunately my downstairs tank is next to a sink which is much lower in height than the tank, so once the water starts flowing I turn off the tap and it drains by itself.  Not as fast as when the tap is on, but fast enough.

The upstairs tank is a huge problem, as the sink is higher than the tank plus for some strange reason I don't have enough water pressure to start the siphon.  The solution is to take the large plastic part off the end of the python and hook the plastic hose onto a MJ900 and pump the water out of the tank that way - very fast, I can 50% empty my 150G tank in about 20 minutes.

They are also very useful if you vacuum your gravel.  Just get the pressure right and you can suck the gravel halfway up the intake tube to get all the nastiness out.

1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

Brent Shaver

If mine broke for any reason I would be sitting in front of BAs for it to open to get another.  Although I dont use the actual pythong, I use a garden hose with a python style adapter, much cheaper and just as effective.

I can clean both tanks in no time flat, takes away the dread of water changes and cleaning to time for enjoying your tanks.

Blackstitch

I find that it works wonders. I can do both of my freshwater tanks with it without having to worry about buckets of water being spilled. I originally bought it when I got my 65 gallon cichlid tank.

ordi260

Its a marvaleous tool!

Even if i would need to get rid of my big tanks, i would buy one even for a 5 gallon  ;)

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

Stussi613

Quote from: garnpet on June 02, 2010, 01:47:52 PM
The upstairs tank is a huge problem, as the sink is higher than the tank plus for some strange reason I don't have enough water pressure to start the siphon.  The solution is to take the large plastic part off the end of the python and hook the plastic hose onto a MJ900 and pump the water out of the tank that way - very fast, I can 50% empty my 150G tank in about 20 minutes.

I too use a modified python and pump action to take water out of my tank.  I put an Eheim spray bar fitting onto the end of my python and then hook it up to the outlet of my Fluval 404 and push the water out into a sink 25 feet away.  I use a small gravel cleaner to get around the rocks and plants in my tank first, which I put into a bucket, and then use the other system to get the water out.  The water from the bucket goes into the massive Hosta in my garden and I can clean the whole tank in under 15 mins.  Don't know how I lived without it.  If anyone is interested, I'll post pictures of my modified setup.
I haz reef tanks.

White Lightning

The python is only good if you do not like the bucket method.

Are you kidding? The python ranks up there as the best invention ever!!!

Nerine

tis AMAZING!!!! and I don't have one anymore LOL I'd have to have a hose that is WAAAY too long ;) So until I move my tanks into the fish room, then I'll get another python :D
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts