Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Foam under tank

Started by HomerJ, June 09, 2010, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HomerJ

I'm giving the final coat of varnish on the outside of my stand tonight, so I'll be ready to put the tank up soon! 

I was wondering what kind of foam do people put under the tank to "even out" the surface it sits on?  I'm pretty sure it's flat, but a bit of foam can't hurt.

Thanks in advance!

fischkopp

Any dense foam (read non-sponge like) will do. I have a preference for the pink/blue stuff sold at HD, because it's only 1/2" thick. Paint the edges with acrylic paint of your choice, and the pink won't distract from the tank anymore.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

HomerJ

Are you talking about insulation foam or something else?  I thought insulation was much thicker. 

fischkopp

Yes. It's insulation foam. Most of them are thicker. I could only find the 1/2" sheets at HD.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

JetJumper

When I did my tank I was working with a height requirement I couldn't go over.  I ended up using the Foam Flooring mats that they use in Gym's / Workshops.  Compression is high, but so far no issues at all.  Mind you my tank bottom is 18mm thick glass.  ;D

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Rybren

Most of the "experts" will tell you to only use foam under a rimless tank, especially on the larger ones.  Using it under tanks with rims could put pressure on the bottom glass.

BTW, I'm not an expert and can't comment on how true this is.
120G Reef

Cheebs

There have been countless debates on the Reef Central site, with tons of input. It seems like the general consensus is that you shouldn't or don't need to put foam under a tank that has plastic trim on the bottom, since the glass is not sitting directly on the surface, but is being supported by said plastic frame, which should be on a flat surface. Just my two cents!

JetJumper

Then again if you have a custom stand, just put foam (Less then a $10 expense).  Saves a $$$$$ repair job if anything does happen. (Lesson Learned here.)
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

HomerJ

All good replies, thanks!

My tank DOES have a plastic rim around it, so I might not even bother in the end.  I'll have to see how well it sits on the top of the stand.  But if it's rocking it's because the tank is not straight because the stand sure is! ;-b