Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My biggest tank!

Started by Pink Punisher, July 21, 2010, 07:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Punisher

Maybe, but African tanks alway seem to have so much going on, to me atleast. Like I would like a certain amount of movement but not so much where I get dizzy!  :P Also those backgrounds look awesome but I don't wanna be paying close to $200 when I don't even have a job  ;D

Spencer

bitterman

Frontosa as pretty sedate and don't move around as much as Lake Malawi cichlids. That is why I them. BTW frontos can reach 18" as adults.

Bruce

magnosis

The pics are somewhat small, I'm not sure I see what I see.

Is the tank split in two halves ?  I think I see a sheet of glass in the middle  ???

Pink Punisher

Yes it is, good eye!  ;) I'll be cutting that out but leaving about 1.5" all the way around. Simply because I don't wanna all the down to the front pane and it will help reinforce a bit.

On that not how would I make the pics bigger?

Spencer

magnosis

Quote from: Pink Punisher on July 23, 2010, 06:49:35 PM
I'll be cutting that out but leaving about 1.5" all the way around

Make sure this piece is not necessary to prevent excessive bowing of the front glass.

Another benefit would be to house different kinds of fish that don't get along.  Put the aggressive fish on one side and the passive ones on the other ;)

But if it can be taken out, why not !  I will be nice to see the fast swimming fish race across 8' of water :D  My SAE would be so happy !

sas

Is this an acrylic tank?

Pink Punisher

Yes its acrylic, if it was glass I would never cut out that middle piece ;D haha

That's a good idea ( leaving the middle ) but I wanna see my fish swim like crazy haha

Spencer

Brent Shaver

If you go with tetras, take a look at that phantoms, very nice looking fish.

If the center is for support, depending on the kind of fish you plan on keeping you could probably get away with a few drilled holes for flow but not take any strength away.  Check into it before, would hate to see that tank go bang.

Should be a great tank for sure...

magnosis

I can't stop thinking about the aquascaping possibilities with a big tank like that :)

I think I would try to do something like a slice of river bed. Lots of gravel and plants on both ends, middle is deeper with driftwood and dark areas.  I don't know if this would work with a sump, but you could even have warmer water at the top ends where the water is more shallow, and colder water at the bottom center of the tank, with different kinds of fish living in their favorite environment.

:D

sas

Quote from: fischkopp on July 22, 2010, 03:18:55 PM
Congrats to you new tank. Very interesting dimensions. South American sounds great!

Since the tank is rather long and shallow I would stay away from taller fish, including discus and for example angels. Is that a drilled tank? It might make a nice fast stream biotope, something plecos would like, and tetras of course. ies.

I like this, check out other fast stream setups on this site. Awesome to say the least.

Pink Punisher

Quote from: magnosis on July 25, 2010, 11:25:33 AM
I can't stop thinking about the aquascaping possibilities with a big tank like that :)

I think I would try to do something like a slice of river bed. Lots of gravel and plants on both ends, middle is deeper with driftwood and dark areas.  I don't know if this would work with a sump, but you could even have warmer water at the top ends where the water is more shallow, and colder water at the bottom center of the tank, with different kinds of fish living in their favorite environment.

:D

That sounds awesome but I don't know if thats really possible with a tank this size. I think I might need a larger tank for that to really happen. Like one with more depth?

Spencer

mseguin

Spencer has some really nice Geos and Gymnos, spectacular colouring on some of them. There's some other nice peaceful larger options, such as A. heckeli, the threadfin acara, and Biotodoma cupido, the cupid cichlid.

karjean

You could leave the center and add a 4"-6" pipe with 2 elbow to link the 2 sections and see the fish go in it between the two sections. I do not remember where i saw it here.

Pink Punisher

Quote from: mseguin on July 27, 2010, 06:11:19 AM
Spencer has some really nice Geos and Gymnos, spectacular colouring on some of them. There's some other nice peaceful larger options, such as A. heckeli, the threadfin acara, and Biotodoma cupido, the cupid cichlid.

I was actually talking to him about his Geos and seeing what he can get in.

As for updates right now there isn't much getting done. I need to pick up some more Weld on #16 to continue sealing the tank. I plan on sealing the whole inside of the tank just to try and be as safe as possible.

Cheers!

Fishnut

I have a pair of Spencer Jack's Gyno Geo's in a tank with community fish.  If you're into they Gymo's, they don't require as much heat as some of the other species.  Spencer actually suggested that we put the fish in a tub outside for the summer when he was talking about them at CAOAC.

My suggestion for your tank is a combination of a few very interesting, moderately sized fish.  Rainbows, for example, should not be kept in a heated tank.  Mine are all at room temp.  You can get rainbows that stay small and rainbows that get to be 6"-7", they're very colourful as longs as you have a few females of each species AND they're always active.  That tank is actually the perfect dimensions for rainbows...long.  Mix those with some Gymno Geophagus, some cory catfish, some tetras or rasboras, some interesting plecos, some hardy plants like amazon sword plants, vals and crypts...TA DA!!  When the fish grow out to their full size, that's going to be one beautiful tank!!

Everything I have mentioned can be kept in a non-heated tank.  In the winter, I add a heater but I set it to 75.  With a tank that size, that certainly saves on electricity.  These fish don't tend to be as hard on a filtration system as some of the larger fish because their bio load is significantly less.

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Contents.htm

dan2x38

You can do Malawi cichlids. Have good filtration then add high population this reduces aggression. It is a cheapsetup! Buy substrate from place like here in Ottawa Merkley Building Supplies lots of choices cost $20 or less for 80lbs. Size from find sand to coarse gravel. I used a 1mm - 1.5mm size they love it. Collect rocks for free and clean thoroughly I did it and have great rock work. Then lighting can be almost anthing so you can see them. With the cichlids I added Bristle Nose Plecos and Syndotonis multipuntaus.

I have 2 canister filters and Aqua Clear 50 to just break the water surface for good gas exchange. There are 25 adult Malawi's in my 65g. I do a once a week WC of 50% with a Python. Also use the cichlid recipe for the water.

The tank takes care of it's self and looks great lots of action & colour. All in all a fairly cheap setup.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Stussi613

I've got Cardinal Tetra's and Ghost Blood Fin Tetra's in my 60g Discus tank and I highly recommend them.  The Cardinals are a bottom to middle of the tank school and the Blood Fins tend to stay more at the top.  I've got good schooling action with a dozen of each.  I would say that your tank is actually suited fine to Discus.  Yes a higher tank would be better, but you've got soo much room I don't think you would have any issues.  The question has come up about bio-load based on Tetra's and I would say, from my experience, that they don't add as much of a load as people would think.  I convinced Jay to get a dozen Cardinals when I picked up mine and he was worried about the load it would add on his 120g and so far I don't think he has even noticed a difference in water paramaters.  I

think your tank would look sick with Discus in it...RebeccaB also has a bigger planted Discus tank and if you took one look at it you'd be sold...I know I was!
I haz reef tanks.

magnosis

Quote from: Fishnut on July 27, 2010, 09:27:17 AM
I have a pair of Spencer Jack's Gyno Geo's in a tank with community fish

Tip: Don't try to Google-Image "Gyno Geo".  That was NOT what I was looking for  :o :-[ >:(

Pink Punisher

Quote from: magnosis on July 28, 2010, 01:04:15 AM

Tip: Don't try to Google-Image "Gyno Geo".  That was NOT what I was looking for  :o :-[ >:(

LOL try googling this gymnogeophagus  ;) Also you just got quoted in my sig haha

Spencer

Pink Punisher

Alright so the plan for this weekend is to try and pick up some plexi glass and weld on #4 to create some more braces for the top. I was thinking two in the middle on either side of chunk I'm cutting out, then one on each side of the tank to give it some more strength. If that enough or should I add more?

Spencer