Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

This hobby is driving me crazy.

Started by omarshabaz, July 26, 2010, 03:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omarshabaz

I need help.

I finally get the rest of the components to get the tank exactally where i want it, and when hanging the new lights yesterday I get a 110 volt shock from the aquarium.
9 system is about 1.5 years up and running .) Get out the volt meter and start individually unplugging and plugging back in and everything is contributing 15 - 25 volts, 3 koralias, heater, and return pump. So now what do I do replace all the equipment. the heater is about 3 months old its a stealth titanium, koralia's are about 1.5 years and the return is a quiet one 4000 about 1.5 years as well. We had just moved so no GFCI yet but they are being switched today.

I feel like I should just give up and cut my losses.

jimskoi

Koralias and heaters first.
Do yo have urchins or triggers?
They like to eat power cords sometimes.
Unplug those first and see what happens.

omarshabaz

no urchins and no triggers. Everysingle item seems to be affecting the number by 15 or 20. Pull out all the koralia cleaned them real good and still no change, i checked the cord for tears or puncture marks and there was nothing. Would switching out all the koralias for one vortech mp40 in a 125 with softies be enough flow.

JetJumper

Something tells me it isn't going to be all those items.  Possibly a ground issue somewhere?    Just seems odd that EVERYTHING is contributing. 
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

omarshabaz

not too sure, I pulled each item one by one and tested them individually with a different plug and got the same readings.

gerryo

Maybe it's the new lights.  You said you were hanging the new lights????????

If everything old has been working correctly?????

omarshabaz

The lights werent plugged in yet, we were hanging the lights and i touched the chain while my hand was in the water is when we noticed. What is an acceptable level of stray current.

nissannx

you can ground the tank with a titanium probe but finding the problem is better. not sure what an acceptable limit of stray voltage is but i know some three way switched for your house have about 20-30 volts of stray voltage

Hookup

Not sure what an acceptable level of stray current... I'm guessing 0, but heck knows...(kinda makes me want to get my multi-meter out)

I'd recommend that you look once more... maybe take all of the devices out of the tank to start and confirm a 0 reading... then test each in a bucket of water in contrast to the tank?

Good luck

beertech

remove each item again and this time check them one by one in a seperate bucket of salt water. I bet you will find that the problem is either one item or maybe something you've missed in the tank.

beertech

OOps,
Sorry Hookup, we replied at the same time!  I guess great minds think alike  ;)

karjean

Check all wires from the ballast to the sockets, they should all be good with no missing insulation to be grounded. The stray voltages you are talking about should be zero. If you do have some stray voltage, you will kill everything in the aquarium including you if you ground yourself good. It could be bad ground like a loose wire on a socket.

lost_at_sea

Just a thought... is your tank on a metal stand? and if so is it on hardwood or carpet? What's the humidity level like in the area around the tank?

I'd definitely suggest verifying a zero reading with all equipment out of the tank. 

omarshabaz

Zero for sure with all equipment out of the tank. it is on a wooden stand on carpet in the basement with low humidity.

karjean

Quote from: omarshabaz on July 27, 2010, 11:33:57 AM
Zero for sure with all equipment out of the tank. it is on a wooden stand on carpet in the basement with low humidity.
OK they are out but in the tank, one at the time, what is the stray voltage individual?

omarshabaz

Pulled them all out and used a different plug to verify with a bucket of saltwater.

Koralia 4   19.23 VAC
Koralia 3   17.11 VAC
Koralia 3   23.22 VAC
Heater     18.11 VAC
Return      13.71 VAC

JetJumper

Something doesn't make sense that you are getting leak from all the items..
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

nissannx

that is alot of stray voltage. what are you using as a ground to test?

Hookup

Quote from: nissannx on July 27, 2010, 04:00:52 PM
that is alot of stray voltage. what are you using as a ground to test?

Darn good question...

It seems odd... either the test is flawed, or devices naturally leak voltage... I just cannot fathom the odds of each one of those being faulty...

Not suggesting you are doing anything wrong at all... i'm as puzzled as you...

Volts are not my thing, baby... haha.

omarshabaz

We are using the hole on the electrical outlet.