Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Poll: MTS - yes or no?

Started by Nyx, August 13, 2010, 10:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyx

Okay, I'd like to get a general consensus regarding MTS snails...
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

bergenm

My 'Yes' vote is conditional on using sand - I don't think they make much of a difference with pebbles...
Michael

Nerine

I voted yes, I loved them, they stirred up the sand and if there was a problem, you'd see them all marching to the top of the tank!
They weren't out of control either as I control the food in the tank by feeding only every few days.

But snails are good, I remember years ago when stores were selling eco systems, you put in some live plants, a tiny snail and a zebra danio lol those were the days ;)

Anyways, good luck :) MTS aren't bad, pond snails are a bother, but I've never had problems with the MTS and would love to have more someday!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Fishnut

I agree that a controlled population is a good thing! Even the pond snails aren't that bad if the population is kept under control. I have MTS's in all tanks...except the assassin tank :)

Dorrie

Definetely yes - I actually bought mine!
They mix the substrate to avoid anaerobic build-up, and they warn if anything is ever wrong in your tank.
Plus, I never actually see mine, though I wouldn't mind it, because I think they're neat-looking :)

exv152

I say yes as well, but population control is definitely something you have to be on top of or else they quickly get out of hand.  Another consideration, I haven't seen mentioned here, is I actually read they can add ammonia equivalent to a school of ~ 40 tetras if they're allowed to tank over.  The solution that has worked best for me is to put a food pellet in a container, then place it on the substrate, and in no time it'll be filled with MTS's, and you just remove it from the tank.   ;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

freshfishies

Quote from: exv152 on August 16, 2010, 10:32:27 AM
I say yes as well, but population control is definitely something you have to be on top of or else they quickly get out of hand.  Another consideration, I haven't seen mentioned here, is I actually read they can add ammonia equivalent to a school of ~ 40 tetras if they're allowed to tank over.  The solution that has worked best for me is to put a food pellet in a container, then place it on the substrate, and in no time it'll be filled with MTS's, and you just remove it from the tank.   ;)

What a great idea! I have tons of mts and want to share them but can never find them during the day! Thanks!!  8)

exv152

Yeah, it works for me, I personally don't want to buy clown loaches, or assassin snails or use copper in my planted tanks.  The only way to rid yourself of these guys is to physically remove them, and the most efficient way to do that is to trap them with what they prefer most - food.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Nyx

magnosis

I need some.

Anyone have a handful to give away in Cantley/Gatineau/Hull or Ottawa South End ?

Laura

We could give you scads of MTS if you want some, although we're downtown. If you occassionally come downtown we can accommodate your schedule - check my ad in the classifieds or pm me.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Nyx

On the other hand, I don't want any. I am finally MTS free!!!  ;D