Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I'm moving... AAAAAARGH!

Started by Aine, August 16, 2010, 09:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aine

I'll be moving my 29g biocube reef tank tomorrow...
I know the basics, and I'm prepared mentally  ;), but I was wondering:
are new Rubbermaid bins ok for the move? Is the plastic toxic? Should I buy somehting else?

Any pointers? Life-saving advice?

I'm sorta nervous  :o... Wish me luck!
Solana 34, but new custom build (41 gallons and 10 gallon sump) in progress!
Ocellaris, pygmy angel, red pistol shrimp, yellow watchman goby, cleaner shrimp, mini carpet anemone, rbta, sps?s, lps?s, softies

Peach-faced lovebird (Octave)
Goldendoodle (Basile)
Standard Poodle (Margot)

Lover of Iceland, nature, travel and music!

Hookup

Common thing overlooked is water temp during the move... just watch it is all, you'll have some acclimation time, the move time, etc... it adds up. (not sure how big/far/long of a move you are making)

Aine

I'm going from Hull to Aylmer... 10-15 min. drive, not too long...
I'm mostly worried about possible toxic discharge from a plastic bin... Am I paranoid?  :o
As for temperature: I'll be mostly doing this in the evening, in an air-conditioned car...
Ocellaris, pygmy angel, red pistol shrimp, yellow watchman goby, cleaner shrimp, mini carpet anemone, rbta, sps?s, lps?s, softies

Goldendoodle (Basile)
Standard Poodle (Margot)

Bob P

I'd say rubbermaid bins are fine, just rinse them
out first, no soap. Depending how long you stuff is in there.
You could do a partial warm waterchange at setup time to get tank
temp back faster. And toss a heater in the bins when you arrive at your
destination. Remember, your livestock
comes half way around the earth, in sometimes harsh conditions.
All will be fine.

redbelly

Rubbermaid bins should be just fine.
I have used brand new rubbermaid bins several times when we have moved and there were never any issues.

Oh and get some new gravel.

fishdaddy

air pumps air rate the water i have moved my tanks and both times i have lost fish,shrimp ,ect because i didn't air rate the water

Hookup

Aine

Ok, so...
Rubbermaid bins are fine: check
Air pumps in the bins: check
Heater if needed: check
New sand/gravel: didn't know that one, but I need some anyways, so check...
Do I keep my old sand bed as well? And just rinse it? I thought it was too shallow anyways...

I hope I'm ready for this... This will be good, as I will be able to remove another RBTA, 'cause mine divided... again... They get HUGE!
Sigh...  :-\

Goldendoodle (Basile)
Standard Poodle (Margot)

jimskoi

For the size of the tank there is no need for new substrate.Just leave it in the tank when you move.Just dont disturb it.leave a bit of water over the top of the substrate to keep it wet.

As for the rubber maids.Everyone is right on.Never had problems with using them either.

dan2x38

I used the substrate when I was able to leave some water in the tank. But to my dissappointment and wallet replaced it when switching to another tank and draining it totally. I sold the substrate cheap to someone who will be cleaning it over months to handle the die off. This was a hard sell to me but I'd rather spend a few extra bucks than crash a tank - which I've heard horror stories of. :(

I used Rubbermaid containers no issue - in fact I returned mine afterwards... ;)

Keep as much water as possible and replace the amount equal to a usual water change.

I did loss some stuff b/c of temps. I am sure. Lost duster, coco worm, pistol shrimp plus corals retracted for awhile.

For sure aerate the water to keep all bacteria alive and get proper gas exchange.

Good Luck keep us posted and a picture or two would be cool... :)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

laker

I used coolers as containers for moving. It took hours to set things up after moving. seem the coolers work great to maintain the good water temp.
You will amaze how cloudy the water is after move. It might take a couple of days for it to clear up. I let filter run all the time and it did help.

Hookup

I too think you should consider removing the sand bed.  I think this is both avoiding a possible problem and an opportunity, though without question many people can and do leave it alone without ill effect... after all you can buy "live sand" so it cannot be a bad thing to keep it.

The thing is, sand beds are linked to so many tank crashes.  Its generally accepted that the bed itself can be a nutrient trap, and grow to proportions that are deadly to systems.  Most people believe that every two years (on average) you should remove the sand and replace it with new sand to avoid this problem.

Many crashes have occurred because of disrupting the sand bed as well.

So I look at this as both an opportunity to replace the bed, and avoidance of a possible problem, by not accidentally disturbing the bed.  I bit more work, but meh...

dan2x38

The other thing I did was run a canister filter on the side for a week to help removed suspend debris. I ran this filter a week before the move since I was replacing the sand bed it gave me an extra bio-filter until things settle in.
Voltaire:

93GTCANADA

i would replace the bed. if not rince it out real well while the tank is empty.

Aine

canister filter: good idea, check

Sand bed issues: not decided yet, will keep you posted.

Thanks, guys!

Goldendoodle (Basile)
Standard Poodle (Margot)

dan2x38

I was torm on the sand bed issue. I went back and forth for weeks bfore I swapped tanks. I figured why should I throw away or sell for cheap good substrate that cost me $40 a bag? After hearing folks here tell me of their crashes I said why risk it for that cost and replaced it.

If you want I'd give ya a cup of sand for a seed and i am sure some others would too.
Voltaire:

Aine

Tank relocation = SUCCESS! 8)
No casualties. I kept my sand, but rinsed it a bit to remove some of the scum, and added some new. I put filter floss at the back of the tank and a cannister filter to clarify the water. Skimmer has been going like mad.
I waited the day after to aquascape, and put the fish and inverts back in the main tank. Water is super clear now.
Things are fine as of yet.
Ouf, that was stressful.   :o

Goldendoodle (Basile)
Standard Poodle (Margot)

FocusFin

You've probably already thought of this but you need to test for ammonia and nitrates for a week or two, a partial rinse may release some nasties.

You may not see an ammonia spike but nitrates may rise precipitously. Better to be safe than...well you know the rest ;)
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Hookup

Woo hoo!!!

Bravo!

Photos please!

Bob P

There, see.
A walk in the park.