Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Massive coral die-off seen in 93-degree waters

Started by RossW, August 17, 2010, 04:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookup

First reaction was omg Ross, your tank!

Second reaction, thank god it's wasn't your tank!

Third and final reaction, I wish it was Ross's tank....

Unfriggn believable tragedy!

RossW

FishPassion

I kind of know what that looks like in person in my own tank only much warmer water. I was working on my tank one Friday morning about 6 weeks ago and had switched my lighting timer on manually so I could see what I was doing. After a cpl of hours I had walked away to answer the door or something and had tended to my regular errands that afternoon getting ready to go to the cottage for the weekend.  I fed my fish before leaving and not thinking I closed the canopy cover  and left for the weekend as I always do Fridays. I had to return Sunday afternoon unexpectedly and the house was as I left it, doors locked, AC off etc. up until I walked into the living room and noticed "that" distinct smell of dead ocean inhabitants. My halides were on 24/7 from friday till sunday afternoon with the canopy closed and the ac off in the house, I lost everything including some fish that I had from the start of my salt tanks 6 years ago. I was totally devasted but had to leave for our anniversary supper that My 18 year old son had planned and made reservations for at a restaurant. Monday morning I took everything out of the tank and mixed my rock with some 35 lbs of seperate liverock I had in a rubbermaid container and am in the process of cooking it now and will be selling it off in a cpl of months. My water was way over the 93 degree mark and I lost some fish anemones corals etc that I have had for many years. I have never had something like this happen before but with the extreme heat waves this summer maybe I shouldnt have turned off the airconditioning as I have all the other years. To look at a 63 gallon tank and see everything dead, well you can only imagine if it was yours, and yes thats it for salt water for me after close to 7 years I have had enough.
I can only imagine what those coral reefs look like.........

80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

Achilles

Mass bleaching is very sad, but I thought I would post this as a kind of good new of super corals that thrive is this temp

http://www.stanford.edu/group/microdocs/index.html

Hookup