Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

algea on walls problem

Started by soleil1980, August 17, 2010, 09:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soleil1980

ok so here it is.  I have a 29 gallon tank with an angel fish couple and assasin snails.  Now, I have algea growing on the walls of the tank...  What can I put in there to take care of this problem (no chemicals!) but wont be eaten by the assasin snails and wont bother the angel eggs/fry if/when I have some?
60g guppies, female bettas, bushynose plecos, cories, apistos
2 x 5.5g male bettas
10g bredding tank for bettas,
2.5g male betta
20g, divided with babies (bettas, plecos and cories)

lost_at_sea

RODI change water,
Reduce the amount your feeding (a lot)
change your lights.

Fishnut

A Bushynose pleco!  I have 2 in a 72 gallon tank.  Before I added them, I always had to scrub algae.  Now I don't!  The tank I moved them from now requires scrubbing when it didn't before.

some_guy

I have a bushynose pleco too, he sometimes eats the wall algae, but not so much.  I find that Zebra nerites do a better job, they are constantly munching the algae on the glass.  I have assassin snails too and they leave my nerites alone. I think they are too big for them, and/or because i also have a moderate amount of pond snails that probably keep the assassins busy.

soleil1980

hi

Well I have plecos in my other tanks and they sure do a great job.  I didn`t put one in this tank just because I thought they might eat the angels' eggs... 
How about an apple snail?  Would that do?  I always found them facinating!  So if the snail I get is bigger than the assassins, it should be ok?  Snails don`t usually eat fish eggs do they?  My angels are good parents but the problem I encountered before was that the eggs got eaten during the night or during feeding time when the parents were distracted.
2 x 5.5g male bettas
2.5g male betta

Fishnut

I am never a fan of putting any snails with assassin snails...you never know. 

An apple snail is a very very interesting addition to any aquarium but they eat LOTS and poop LOTS!  They are even know to snack on plants in the aquarium...not too sure about fish eggs.

If you want to breed angel fish, it's best to give them their own tank with no other fish.  You'll have to scrub the algae off the walls of the tank yourself though.

fischkopp

Your first choice is surely an algae scraper.  ;)

I prefer a couple of otocinclus over a pleco for fighting algae, they seem to do a much better job as a crew while making much less impact on the bioload than plecos. I love oto's!!! But they won't go for any hard algae, like green spot. This is a domain for Nerite snails. Whats left is brush algae, which is really annoying and only be eatenby young SAE and American Flagfish, but I recommend to just get used to it.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

soleil1980

thanks everyone!  I'll use elbow grease and scrape everything off lol
2 x 5.5g male bettas
2.5g male betta