Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Algae growth on plants

Started by SmallFry, September 03, 2005, 11:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallFry

I am experiencing an algae outbreak in my 55g tank.  It seems to be covering everything including my plants.  I have included some pictures and would like to know the best method to combat this.  I perform regular water changes and keep the bottom clean of fish waste and decaying matter.  I use fertilizer spikes under most of my plants and have a CO2 system as well.  None of my water parameters seem to be out of wack.  The tank gets 11 hours of light everyday (80 watts total).   Any advice or solutions would be appreciated.  Please excuse the quality of the pictures.  Aquarium photography is harder than it looks   :oops:

BigDaddy

Looks like brush algae to me (BBA).

In a CO2 tank, brush algae can sometimes be from not enough trace elements.

If your N and P are okay, then I would start upping your trace mix dosage.

SAE's will eat this stuff too... if you have 'em.  One of the only fish that does.

The easy solution is to trim away heavily infested leaves.

Toss

i second bigdaddy about SAE. get at least 3 same size, otherwise they become aggresive to other fish or themselves (if they are different in size). You can also put in more plants to compete with the algae. good luck
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

josh

Hi,
I'm having the same problem (have had it for a year).  I can't keep plants alive - they get convered with that algae-like growth within 5 days, and either die or stop growing.

1. Can you please explain what you mean by "not enough trace elements" and what I can do about it.

2. What do you mean by "If your N and P are okay, then I would start upping your trace mix dosage"

3. what are "SAE's"

Thanks,
Josh

CarlClassen

I have the exact same problem. I find new leaves come in nice and green and very quickly get covered in a dark green almost purple algae that will completely coat the leaf. Its not bushy though. My giant twisted Val comes in nice and green then quickly rots, breaks apart and floats to the top. I have Co2, 130 watts over 29 gallons, I dose weekly ½ teaspoon of trace, kno3, and KH2po4. Even hornwort and naja get coated. I do weekly 15% water changes. I also have 3 fat frantic SAEs

Ph6.8
Gh 80
Harness 120
Nitrate 20-40(after dose)
Kh 120
Co2 32

kennyman

If you guys are dosing you should try the Estimative Index Big Daddy mentioned in another thread. I hear it works real well ;)

discusFans

20-40 of Nitrate is too much i think. the recommanded level is 5-25ppm. Unless you are heavily planted and the plants you have are demanding and fast growing..also, u have over 4wpg of light, it is the high end of light requirement. unless u have high light demanding plant, otherwise, i would suggest u to reduce it to 2.5 wpg and reduce the nitrate level