Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

question

Started by salvini55, September 20, 2010, 07:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salvini55

I just bought a used 187 gallon rimless 60x24x30. It is 1 inch glass all round its a little worse for wear lots of chips in the edges of the glass but overall solid.

do you think its tempered glass? It is not drilled. My guess is one inch glass doesnt need to be tempered but what do i know. It seems like its an old custom tank, the guy i bought it from said he bought it off some guy that worked at big al's kanata. I guess there is only one way to find out and just drill it.....  :(

If i could i would love to get the tank torn down and re siliconed but i have no experiance with that and wouldnt even know where to start.

Saltcreep

Quote from: salvini55 on September 20, 2010, 07:04:14 PM
I just bought a used 187 gallon rimless 60x24x30. It is 1 inch glass all round its a little worse for wear lots of chips in the edges of the glass but overall solid.

do you think its tempered glass? It is not drilled. My guess is one inch glass doesnt need to be tempered but what do i know. It seems like its an old custom tank, the guy i bought it from said he bought it off some guy that worked at big al's kanata. I guess there is only one way to find out and just drill it.....  :(

If i could i would love to get the tank torn down and re siliconed but i have no experiance with that and wouldnt even know where to start.

My bet is that if it were tempered glass, it wouldn't have chipped, it would have exploded.

salvini55

My guess is it will be ok, if there are chips out of the edges than it would have shattered if it was tempered... I hope im right

salvini55

ya, lol thats what im thinking thanks though fingers crossed

redbelly

I have seen tempered glass chip before without exploding many times.

But on an older tank I would have to agree that its probably not tempered.

salvini55

That is muzak to my ears!  ;D

JetJumper

+1 to chips in glass = not tempered.

That was my gauge I used to drill my random custom tank I got for free.  There were a few chips here and there.. so I thought it wasn't tempered.. Turned out it was not! :D
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

HomerJ

salvini55

Homerj comes through in the clutch! wicked find

Vincenzo.

+2 to patrick, i to have seen tempered glass chipped, .... many, many, times.