Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Anyone know where I can get one of these fittings?

Started by Stussi613, December 01, 2010, 09:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stussi613

I'm posting this in here because the tank I have, that I bought from RebeccaB - who bought it from Ray, is drilled in the corners and wsa originally a saltwater tank.  I'm setting it up as a FW tank, but decided to use the holes in the bottom and the plumbing that came with it for my filtration.  I did a test of the seals on the filtration system tonight and one of them was leaking like nobody's business.  I took it apart to find that there is a crack in it.  Went to Home Depot to try to find another one and they said they haven't sold anything like it in quite some time.  I was hoping some of you crazy salties with holes in all your tanks would recognize it  ;D

Here's two pics of the fitting:

and one of the way that they connect to the filter hoses:

I haz reef tanks.

Saltcreep

Those look very similar to the bulkheads I've seen sold for RV and marine plumbing. Through-hull fittings for boats. I've even seen them in the sporting goods section at Walmart. There is an American based retailer of boating products called West Marine. They have an astounding selection of all things boating and tons of marine plumbing fittings. Pumps, filters, you name it. The closest retail locationis in Kingston. A quick look at their online catalog too me here.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=96541&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10111&subdeptNum=10628&classNum=10629

Stussi613

I'm not sure those would work, I need them to be threaded on the top and the bottom the way the one in the picture is.  The third picture is just a reference, I can get that stuff at Home Depot.

In total there are 5 fittings of that size in the tank, with one of them being in the center and capped off but buried under at least 3 inches of flourite. 

I was hoping someone would recognize it and tell me where I can find it readily so I don't have to unbury the one that is capped off and switch it out...

All I can say is that I'm glad I tested all the joints and connections again before I started filling it up with 120g of water, but a bit bummed out that I put the substrate dividers and substrate in already.
I haz reef tanks.

HomerJ

Any reason not to use a regular bulkhead?  Are these special in a certain way? 

Stussi613

Quote from: HomerJ on December 01, 2010, 10:44:26 PM
Any reason not to use a regular bulkhead?  Are these special in a certain way? 

I'm really not sure.  I have zero experience with drilled tanks.  I got this one with all the plumbing and was just trying to match it up.  The only thing I'll say is that where a saltwater tank normally has an overflow and the bulkhead is on the other side, this setup is just in the tank with all the water around it.  Rebecca had it set up this way and it worked very well.  No hoses out the back and an inlet and outlet in either corner of the tank.
I haz reef tanks.

Aquaviewer

Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

JD

Any regular bulkhead will work as a replacement. Your only concern is the size of the hole. That will dictate the size you need to buy.

Hookup

PVC Plus (collonaide rd) has those exact (or darn near) fittings.  Bloody expensive, but they are rock-solid.

redbelly

That is a Hayward bulkhead. Hayward is a brand btw.
Crazy strong, crazy thick but a small sealling area and WAY overkill for an aquarium.
Hopefully the hole in the tank is an appropriate size to drop in another bulkhead. I would bring your old bulkhead into one of the fish stores and see if you can find one with a similar OD on the part where it goes through the tank.

Why did you install those gret and black snap fittings on the ball valves?
Why not just use redular pvc and glue it.

HomerJ

Quote from: redbelly on December 02, 2010, 01:58:16 PM

My guess is for easy removal?

reefdava16

I would check out http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/

Like stated above... u need to know the size of the bulkhead.

Stussi613

Quote from: redbelly on December 02, 2010, 01:58:16 PM

I got the tank with all the bulkheads and fittings, the previous owner set it up that way.  I assume for quick removal, but she would have to say.

Went to see Ray last night and he unfortunately didn't have the right size (1 1/4). I had another one in the tank that was the same, but sealed off and under substrate.  Spent an hour digging it out and changing it with the damaged one...won't be a issue on the capped one since water doesn't go through it. Did another leak test and everything looks good now.

Thanks for all your advice guys!
I haz reef tanks.

Roland

You can find those bulkheads in an agriculture/hardware store in Kemptville called TSE. It's across from the Canadian Tire along highway 43. They're under $10.00 and will accommodate the PVC fittings, 1/2 inch and 3/4 used for conduit, found in any hardware store. I believe they have some larger bulkhead sizes too.

The hole size required in the tank for the 3/4 bulkhead is 40 mm.

gordomtb

Let me know if you are still looking.I have 2 of them.

Stussi613

Hate to dig up an ancient thread, but these bulkheads have raised their ugly heads again. I ripped the tank down and capped them off using a "nut" that was a perfect fit on the bottom of the fitting, with some silicone tape. Tested for water tightness and everything was good so I filled the tank up. As you can see in the pic below, there is a small leak.  I'm going to drain the tank in the morning (argggggg what a waste of 135g of water!!) and need to find a better solution to this problem.  

I originally tried to cap them on the top, inside the tank, but the nuts won fit all the way in...maybe I should just look for something that has a flat top with no pass through?  Anyone have any advice on what to get and where to get it?

I haz reef tanks.

fischkopp

You can try PVC Industrial Products (www.pvcip.com). They do have quite a variety of fittings, mostly schedule 40/80, and unfortunately priced accordingly. But worth to check for some unusual parts.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

az

AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

Stussi613

I haz reef tanks.

az

if you are taking it off then yes on the thread, if not try wrapping teflon on the outside now and see if that stops it, go few rounds and do it tight.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca