Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

:: Painted backround ::

Started by PDP, March 20, 2004, 08:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDP

Ok heres a question for you fish peeps out there! I have to tear down my 110 and move it June first as I am moving. so after looking at my backround (plain black) you can see your normal water spots as well as normal wear and tear. I don;t know about all of you but I hate that look on the back of the Tank I want it to look clean and smooth like the rest of my tank. Its my show tank and my pride and joy so it has to be perfect! (call me anal )

So my question to the heads out there is whats a decent way to paint the tank and make it look smooth so you can't tell it was painted! I here acrylic paint is a way to go but I figured i'd come back to headquarters (OVAS) and ask my local peeps.

suggestions?

Marc

I've painted the (exterior) back of a number of my tanks with "Speckle Stone" spray paint made by Crown which I bought at Canadian Tire.  As it's name implies the paint has speckles of white in it.  It makes for a great textured background and is available in a number of great colors. I've used dark green and navy blue.  Because it's a spray paint it goes on nicely with no brush stroke marks.

james

Hi
I used spray paint as well on some tanks. I used the granite textured paint. Grey and tan. It makes the background look like slates of rock formation. It make a great natural  look Since I have Africans

James
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

Evan

I used blue acrilic latex paint.
CIL for walmart.

It turned out well.   You just have to put on  about 4 coats.

PDP

ok i want flat black i think but i want it oo look perfect so mayeb i should test ona  10 gallon fist

Evan

that's what I did.   I painted my 10G hospital.  After it looked good I painted my 55.  Now I just have to paint my 20 and 29

artw

come to the meeting tonight and I'll give you the rest of my black paint.  I hate paint.  I use black bristolboard.

PDP

i'lls ee if i can make it i had a bad snowboarding accident yesterday (fell of a 40 foot rainbow rail onto my face) so i have a concusion toar a few muscles in my back and neck and fractured my wrist....so i may have to get if off you another time if possible art...thanks by the way

why do you hate paint??

artw

cause it sucks.  it's hard to work with in my little apartment, messy, smells etc.
I suppose if I had proper infrastructure (an outdoor workshed, or at least some place proper to do it and clean up afterwards) I might be more enthusiastic about paint

PDP

mmmm i have been soured on paint now

Migs

Bristol board is great..  You could paint the cardboard so you can change it when you get sick of it.

artw

the only thing annoying about bristol board,  when you splash it it gets wet (obviously).   and it tends to wrinkle when it dries.  but this is no big deal.