Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Boxing Day Finds

Started by Jeff1192, December 26, 2010, 01:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

So.....what did you get during the Boxing Day sale?

I stocked up on some basics; Prime, fert tabs, food ect. I also got some Pygmy Cories and 2 Scarlet Badis for my newly set-up Fluval Edge. I also got some nice pieces of petrified wood for it.

I was really excited about the Badis as they were not labelled on the tank but I managed to spot a couple hiding under the rocks. I had seen them when they first came in a few weeks ago but my new tank wasn't running yet.

What did everyone else snag?

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Fishnut

I got the Brochis Corys that I've been eyeing for a few weeks, a few Kuhli Loaches, a female honey Gourami and a pair (I hope) of Yellow Rainbows.  I also stocked up on dried and frozen fish food.

Severum

Salt. Lots and lots of salt. :)
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

OttawaFolkFestivum

Cheers, Steve

TLe041

Jeff, congrats on the badis. They're awesome. I was going to pick up a pair but decided not to because of the live food requirement. I have pygmy cories too. They're such easy fishes to care for.

I also have a Fluval Edge that's been running since January. It's a great nano tank. Let me know if you have any questions.
Tony

Jeff1192

I've had badis once before. They ate bloodworms no problem so hopefully these ones will too. I've got some low light plants inthere now and I'm just considering ordering some LED bulbs to replace the stock ones. But I'm definitely keeping this set up low light (no CO2).

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

mseguin

Picked up some Celebes rainbow and (hopefully) another female Metricilima flavifemina
Speaking of badis, if you're ever in Toronto, Pet Menageries had received some new rare badis, I think they were called sp. Tiger, they were very cool. This was a couple weeks ago, but if you're in the area might be worth seeing if he got more.

ordi260

Got a 75g, a 16gH, couple of heaters and other random stuff!

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

daworldisblack

Quote from: Jeff1192 on December 26, 2010, 01:38:17 PM
So.....what did you get during the Boxing Day sale?

I stocked up on some basics; Prime, fert tabs, food ect. I also got some Pygmy Cories and 2 Scarlet Badis for my newly set-up Fluval Edge. I also got some nice pieces of petrified wood for it.

I was really excited about the Badis as they were not labelled on the tank but I managed to spot a couple hiding under the rocks. I had seen them when they first came in a few weeks ago but my new tank wasn't running yet.

What did everyone else snag?

Jeff

Where'd you score the Badis?! Congrats!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

robt18

Lots more cool stuff restocked last night and all sales are still on for the rest of the week!

We even found 2 more buckets of reef crystals ;)

I grabbed a Marineland C220 canister for my pleco growout tank. Yay!

And I grabbed a bit of food for the same fish... spoiled this year! The rest of my fish are jealous...

Hope to see everyone the rest of the week!

Rob

FocusFin

Picked up the flu!

Temperature of 103 and a whole bunch of aches and pains   :(
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Nerine

saw lots of Ovaser's at Big Al's :D and grabbed some fish food...yeah I'm boring this year!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

RoxyDog

Boxes of salt and an adorable pink spotted goby.  :)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

White Lightning

Was that the one at Innes in the little tank? I almost bought it....

Laura

Quote from: Jeff1192 on December 26, 2010, 01:38:17 PM

I was really excited about the Badis as they were not labelled on the tank but I managed to spot a couple hiding under the rocks.

Ive got some of the badis and they are doing great, but mine dont think much of frozen food. The love microworms though - let me know if you want a starter culture. They are now in a tank with cherry shrimp and are likely hunting baby shrimp too.

They are beautiful fish with tons of personality. Watch out for dominance issues - the males are grumpy.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

alexv

Got a 48" coralife light fixture (4x65W), some fish food and a pair of Delhezi bichirs. Unfortunately looks like both are females... But they are still too young to tell the difference. Still hope I have a real pair :)
220g FW Community planted: SAE (5), Puntius denisonii (4), clown loach (2), Yoyo loach (3), kuhli loach (3), otocinclus affinis (2), rummynose tetra (3), harlequin rasbora (17), rope fish (1), glass catfish (3), bamboo shrimp (2), upside-down catfish (2), Chinese algae eater (2), rubber-lipped pleco (2), cherry shrimp (many)

55g FW Community planted: Black ghost knifefish (2), Armored bichir (2), banjo catfish (2),  Rosy tetra (2)

robt18

Quote from: FocusFin on December 27, 2010, 09:09:45 AM
Picked up the flu!

Temperature of 103 and a whole bunch of aches and pains   :(

Free hitchiker! Did you at least pick up a thermometer to measure your fever? :P

Quote from: alexv on December 27, 2010, 07:06:59 PM
Got a 48" coralife light fixture (4x65W), some fish food and a pair of Delhezi bichirs. Unfortunately looks like both are females... But they are still too young to tell the difference. Still hope I have a real pair :)

May want to pick up a third if you're looking for a pair, when they reach maturity in 10-12 years you'd me mightly disappointed to find out they were both girls :P

I stocked up on fish today. Chocolate gouramis, bosemani rainbows, a few angels and I feel like something else but I can't remember  :D

RoxyDog

Quote from: White Lightning on December 27, 2010, 12:36:50 PM
Was that the one at Innes in the little tank? I almost bought it....

Yep, he was at Innes in one of the smaller tanks...thanks for not buying "Pinko".  :)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

FocusFin

Quote from: robt18 on December 28, 2010, 12:01:38 AM
Free hitchiker! Did you at least pick up a thermometer to measure your fever? :P

Don't....it hurts when I laugh. :P
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

vic622

Picked up salt & the bug - Now I have to set up the 75gal Eeek!

About the Badis ...
Congrats, they are one of my favourite micro-fish!
Quote from: Laura on December 27, 2010, 01:52:04 PM
Ive got some of the badis ... They are now in a tank with cherry shrimp and are likely hunting baby shrimp too.
Exactly what mine used to do - I'd watch them stalking around in the Java Moss looking for a meal.
QuoteThey are beautiful fish with tons of personality. Watch out for dominance issues - the males are grumpy.
Agreed!
For such a munchkin, its amazing how aggressive they can be. Fortunately even a 10gal can be enough room for them to set up territories.
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Congo Tetra, Pearl Gourami, Honey Gourami
Serpae Tetra
Bronze & Pepper Corydoras, BN Plecos, Yoyo Loaches