Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

overseas snails

Started by luvfishies, September 30, 2005, 10:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvfishies

All the way from Finland! These are 24 hours hatched :D

luvfishies

And here they are at 3 days later and 6 days later

3 days

6 days

luvfishies

Awright, everyone, here's the latest pics!

Not the greatest, but dang it if I can get any closer I would be right in there with them if it would work!

Left side of Nursery

Right side

close ups

Quatro

luvfishies,

This may seem obvious so you may have already tried.

Your camera has 10x optical zoom.  Try stepping back and zooming in.

Another option is to use the macro function when you get in close.

It may help with the pic quality.

Mike S

Mettle

Uh. From Finland, huh? Is that legal? Please tell me you didn't get 'em shipped in a random mail envelope.

luvfishies

Mettle, yes it's legal. The only restricted snail for import into Canada is the Giant African Land Snail.

quattro, I take all pictures on the Macro setting. I've been far away and zoomed in, and I've had the lens just about on the glass.

It's just a matter of me figuring out some manual settings, I think. The cam is auto-focusing on the snails in the BACKGROUND rather than the foreground. Might have something to do with the layer of glass, AND the layer of plastic from the floating nursery.

I'll keep playing with it, though!

jaracas

QuoteThe only restricted snail for import into Canada is the Giant African Land Snail.

i'm sorry to tell you this but that statement is 100% wrong.
all plant eating invertebrates, with specific exceptions, are banned.
snails, walking sticks, millipedes, pillbugs, roaches etc all banned.
i know this because i used to import and export these things in the UK and looked into starting up again over here.
i called Canadian Food Inspection Agency Animal Health and Production Division and they put me onto a webpage to let me know what IS allowed, and it isn't much, lol

Aquatic Snails, although not requiring a Plant Protection Permit, need to be phsyically checked by the CFIA for species type (CITES or not), correct import certificate for the accompanying livestock (basically every piece of livestock has to be accounted for, nothing endangered smuggled in with common species)

but, i guess, you have all the correct importation documents anyway

Shouganai

Oooh, Mettle, you brought up a good point! I'm disappointed that I didn't think of it myself! ;)

Being an Envirosci student that has dealt with issues of invading species before, I am aware of how much of a pain invading molluscs can be (heck, we ALL know how much of a pain they can be in our own tanks!). While I don't know the regulations to a tee, I would assume jaracas is right. It just makes sense. I think I'll have to look in to the issue, its something I should probably know anyway!

jaracas

trust me on this one ;) if there was a legal loophole i would have found it by now :D

Firstly they would need a Certificate of Designation, cost $86, then it needs Pest Risk Assesment, cost $250, then because it/they are being imported for any purpose other than research another $35.
Brokerage fees, varying.

Thats forgetting the chance that any plant products are used as packing/food, it becomes even more complicated then

Hence why i no longer deal in herbivorous creatures, carnivorous invertebrates, and vertebrates, are much easier to get across.

hth
steve

mseguin

I just checked the border services site, and it seemed to indicate that no documentation is needed for importing aquatic snails, but maybe I'm reading it wrong.

jaracas

all livestock imported into Canada HAS to be inspected, it doesn't matter if it is exempt from Plant Protection Permit or not.
It has to be double checked that whatever it is doesn't contravene the laws.
If fetching livestock from the US you will also now need (since I think bout 1997) a US fish and wildlife IMPORT/EXPORT licence... you need to apply for it. It is $50USand is good for only one year. If you are not getting your inspection at a Designated Port you may also be required to apply for what's called an "Exception to Designated Port"permit. It's about $25US  and is good for 2 years.

luvfishies

jaracas, interesting.

I've transported tropical fish IN MY CAR across the border, and so have many people I've talked to at the OVAS and MONTREAL auctions. They/we have never had an issue at customs. Ever. As long as you say they're for your home aquarium.

I was NOT informed of any illegality insofar as NON PLANT EATING tropical snails are concerned.

I'll have to do some more digging about this. Hopefully this time I will get someone who KNOWS the answers.

kennyman

I was on that customs canada site the other day. I think its differnt laws for people wanting to sell stuff (comercial purposes)vs people transporting for personal use.

By the sounds of it Matt and I were looking at the same thing. A little note came up saying "Approved; Print this page for your document at customs"

jaracas

QuoteI was NOT informed of any illegality insofar as NON PLANT EATING tropical snails are concerned.

no, they aren't illegal, they do have to be inspected though, and the inspection procedure does have to be paid for.

Achatina and Helix genra are totally banned (these are terrestrial snails) .
All others do have to be checked.

you give them a call and ask:
'is it ok if i fetch some snails into the country and don't inform any officials?'

see what response you get then ;)

goldfish4ever

LoL! Legal or not legal, they are happily at their new home now. :P I personally feel that if they were illegally imported and aren't harming anyone, good for you Luvfishies for getting away with it.;) With all the CRAP that manages to come across the border these days, I think a couple of harmless aquarium snails is the least of customs' worries!!!!  And if they are legal, then no harm done!

They are sooo cute!! And so MANY of them!! Very nice!

luvfishies

Hmmm.....Well, these were sent as egg clutches, and I hatched them out here.

I'll definately be doing some more research into this BEFORE asking  my friends in the States to ship snails across the border.

jaracas

Quote from: "luvfishies"Hmmm.....Well, these were sent as egg clutches, and I hatched them out here.

I'll definately be doing some more research into this BEFORE asking  my friends in the States to ship snails across the border.

ahhhh, i see, well that changes everything, strangely enough.
ova can be sent through the mail worldwide with no restrictions.

strange eh?

thanks for the clarification :D
i wasn't trying to diss you btw, i think your snails are cool, i just didn't want anyone, including you, getting into any trouble

steve

luvfishies

Quote from: "jaracas"

ahhhh, i see, well that changes everything, strangely enough.
ova can be sent through the mail worldwide with no restrictions.

strange eh?

thanks for the clarification :D
i wasn't trying to diss you btw, i think your snails are cool, i just didn't want anyone, including you, getting into any trouble

steve

Now that just doesn't make any sense at all. Egg clutches are far more likely to survive shipping than juvies/adults are! Plus the fact that you can get anywhere from 30-200 babies from a clutch, depending on the species!

Thanks for the info, though. I'll have to let others know to just ship clutches, and NOT live snails!

Mettle

Quote from: "goldfish4ever"LoL! Legal or not legal, they are happily at their new home now. :P I personally feel that if they were illegally imported and aren't harming anyone, good for you Luvfishies for getting away with it.;) With all the CRAP that manages to come across the border these days, I think a couple of harmless aquarium snails is the least of customs' worries!!!!  And if they are legal, then no harm done!

Despite the fact that we've basically resolved the issue and know that they were eggs that were sent and not live animals... I still feel the need to say that there is harm done in sending/importing/receiving illegally shipped organisms. It's things like this that can destroy an entire eco-system. And not to mention if caught, then it sheds a very bad light on those in the aquarium/fish hobby in general. And it often spurs into place more restrictive laws than were in place before if/when something bad happens.

I know of someone in the USA who collects scorpions. He was for a few years simply mailing his baby scorpions back and forth with other individuals within the continental USA when they were selling, trading or giving some away... Of course doing this, in unmarked boxes, is very illegal. And there's even been a few issues where the package has 'disappeared' for a number of days without any idea of where it went... Granted scorpions and snails are very different, but you can start to see my point, right?

Anyway... Just a topic of interest for me which is why I initially mentioned it.

jaracas