Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Your opinion: master test kits

Started by PaleoFishGirl, October 01, 2005, 11:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleoFishGirl

Does anyone swear by a particular brand of master test kit? There are a lot out there, just wondering if you think any are 'better' than others.

kennyman

I use the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc.  Freshwater master test kit. Easy to follow instructions right on the cards and a logbook to keep track of your results. Avalible just about everywhere aswell :)
http://www.aquariumpharm.com/

Julie

Tim

BigDaddy

For ammonia and nitrite... I use the AP stuff.

For nitrate, the AP is poor at measuring the low range, so I use Seachem's kit.  Even that one I'm not really 100% happy with, so I will probably spurge and get the Lamotte kit.  I also use Seachem's kit for phosphate.

For gH and kH, AP is fine.

For pH... a pH monitor.

Now... I have a planted tank.. so accurate pH is important (for my CO2 readings) as is nitrate and phosphate.

For your standard community tank or cichlid tank.. I'm sure the generic kits are fine.

TBarb

Quote from: "BigDaddy"For ammonia and nitrite... I use the AP stuff.

For nitrate, the AP is poor at measuring the low range, so I use Seachem's kit.  Even that one I'm not really 100% happy with, so I will probably spurge and get the Lamotte kit.  I also use Seachem's kit for phosphate.

For gH and kH, AP is fine.

For pH... a pH monitor.

Now... I have a planted tank.. so accurate pH is important (for my CO2 readings) as is nitrate and phosphate.

For your standard community tank or cichlid tank.. I'm sure the generic kits are fine.

Big D, how important is it to read phosphate?

BigDaddy

In a planted tank?  Pretty important.

After CO2 and NO3, PO4 is the next biggest one people mess up with and wind up with algae.

squeeker

I've found the AP test kit to be MUCH more accurate than the Hagen brand, at least for Nitrates.