Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

setting a new cichlid tank

Started by yellowtang, October 02, 2005, 10:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowtang

After much consideration on what my next tank will be,
I came to the conclusion that I want a cichlid tank....
But I want  to keep it as close to the real thing.........Just like what you see in real life....roots plants and lights.....
the real problem is!!!!I really don't know what kind of cichlids
would be good and colorful enough for an amateur  like me.
any suggestions and ideas on where I can start.
my salt water tank and my other 3 tanks have become routine to me....so a new challenge is what I seek........
thanks in advance. :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

kennyman

Angles were sort of frilly and delicate looking for me. But the
South American cichlids are cool in their own right. However Africans are Super colorful, have an intricate social structure and enough is know about them to easily build the correct biotype. The cichlid world is a big one. Cant forget about the brackish Orange Chromide either from Indonesia.

Here is a good place to do some web browsing. The Library there is great!  http://www.cichlid-forum.com/index.php

NjOyRiD

I'm sure you would love the Small South american cichlids, but if you liek big boys, go check the Central america ones! I love them :D
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

darkdep

I second the vote for Africans!  Colourful, full of personality, and it's easy to build an "accurate" home for them.

zapisto

Quote from: "yellowtang"After much consideration on what my next tank will be,
I came to the conclusion that I want a cichlid tank....
But I want  to keep it as close to the real thing.........Just like what you see in real life....roots plants and lights.....
first of all , if you talking about plants you remove most of the Afriacan cichlid (i say most not all :wink: ).
that's say , you need to know the size of the tank you want ,
if you talking  25 gallons and less , you remove most of the central amaerican cichlids (all the big guys also :) )
Quote from: "yellowtang"
the real problem is!!!!I really don't know what kind of cichlids
would be good and colorful enough for an amateur  like me.
any suggestions and ideas on where I can start.
my salt water tank and my other 3 tanks have become routine to me....so a new challenge is what I seek........
thanks in advance. :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:

after you decide the size , you have to check what sort of water you have home , and if you want stay with less treatment as posssible on you water.

ther you can start think of the cichlids :)

mseguin

If you're looking for something a bit different, I would suggest Western African cichlids. There are some very attractive species, you can still keep plants, and they're quite active. There's Pelvicachromis (more species than just kribs), Nanochromis (some very nice dwarf cichlids), Hemichromis and Anomalochromis, amongst others.

Julie

Are any of these cichlids suitable for a community?

tx,
Julie

mseguin

Most of the West Africans are mildly aggressive (don't put them with really slow or peaceful fish such as bettas or pencilfish) but not much more then South American dwarfs. Obvioulsy the jewels are quite a bit more agressive than that.

yellowtang

wow.... :shock:
thanks for all that info........
I will have a small 26g Bowtank....to start.......
I want a darkish kind of world for their habitat........
not too many plants......just mainly roots and drift wood  and darkish lights ,Just like a swamp.......I get facinated by looking at their habitat
in their real world....
I was also thinking Pirahnas.but they're very hard to come by..
however...........thanks for all your output. :shock:  :shock:
38G REEF

repeej

Setting up a 33gal. this week myself.
Collected river rock yesterday for it....got some baking to do tonight...LOL....along with purchasing some eggcrate.
Will likely add a couple java fern and that will be it.  Gonna keep it simple so that the fish stick out.
Man this hobby is addictive.

Once it's setup I will be going to see our man Pegasus to help stock this thing.

Julie

Yellowtang, the habitat you are describing is what Discus live in.  Along with the discus are severums, but I'm not sure what dwarfs are in this area.  Oto cats...school of black neons.  

Julie

squeeker

pirhanas aren't hard to come by.  We have a bunch of babies at SP Kanata for 9.99.

yellowtang

hello squeek!!!!!
what kind of pirhanas would they be?
and would a 26 bow tank be good to start..If I decide to go with pirhanas.
and by the way..........is there a rule about feeding them
feeder fish only.........or is there larger food for them to eat.?
thanks.
38G REEF

Julie

Not sure which end of the city you're in, but they had a few at BA Innes - the finger nipping kind  :wink:

Julie

mseguin

We had quite a few babies as of last weekend, and with the SA order we will probably get more, such as black piranhas.

squeeker

The babies are Red Bellies.  We have adult red bellies as well.

You don't have to feed them feeder fish.  In fact, it's usually not recommended to only feed them feeders as they are very fatty and also often disease-ridden.  We feed the babies tropical flake, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and the occasional feeder.  The adults we have in the store were brought back by a customer.  They were raised on feeders and will now only eat feeders.

kennyman

I am working on a tank something like what you describe Yellow Tang. Except it's brackish.
http://www.tropicalfishgallery.com/photo-gallery/thumbnails.php?album=174
I spoted this 37g at Big All's Kanata this past Saturday, and after wandering around looking at fish and stuff for an hour I just had to have it! Its 20x18x24. I got a black background for it with Tahitian Moon Sand for the substrate. The wood is made from some dead branches I threw over the fence about three years ago :D

I thought about Orange Chromide Cichlids for it, but decided to go smaller schooling fish insted.

Mettle

A 26 gal bow is totally inadequate for piranhas.

If going with piranhas I don't think you should bother with anything less than a 55 gallon. That's the smallest tank that you could possibly keep three red bellies in.

And almost everywhere has red bellies.  ;)

squeeker

Good point, mettle.  I didn't even look at the tank size he quoted.

yellowtang

yes......I realize how small my tank is for pirhanas.......
I was just thinking about them.....but having a small tank like that gives me no space for them to live on..........which brings me to another question?
Are all pirhanas same size?meaning among the many species there are..which is a small type which you might be aware off,and that can be attainable AT LFS. .
I like pirhans habitat....so I will perhaps buy a larger tank.and set it in my basement........
once again thank guys for all the information you have provided.
38G REEF