Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

setting a new cichlid tank

Started by yellowtang, October 02, 2005, 10:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfox

Quote from: "kennyman"Angles were sort of frilly and delicate looking for me. But the South American cichlids are cool in their own right.

South American Cichlids are awesome fish... don't rule them out.  If you can find them, check out some wild caught Pterophyllum altum (Angels).  They are something else!  BA Innes will have some in soon.

Although, I wouldn't suggest anymore than 2 in a 26gal... 2 is even pushing it.  I'm sure someone else with more knowledge on Altum's, can better inform you.

yellowtang

I deff won't rule out cichlids.....I love cichlid.never had a single one before.....but I have seen amazing set up from some members here at the club.....so the more real I can keep it the happier they will be and the marrier I'll be.
thanks you all.
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

UCGrafix

I was asking myself the exact same questions.

I will be starting a new 50 gal. tank this winter with Cichlid, 36"L X 16"D X 20"H

I am looking for very colorful fish, that will stay relatively small, 4 to 5 inches would be great, and I would like to make the tank as natural as possible and as close as possible to real life situation.
I will be following this thread for advise, before I take the plunge.

Regards,
Denis

yellowtang

thats right UCgrafix....as natural as possible.
and by the way..........why did you move from Toronto to
Gatineau?.......I'll be looking for a house in the Toronto Area.....
well not exactly T.dot but surounding areas.like bramton/mississaga/oakville/kitchener/waterloo.ashawa.even st catharine.
I moved to Ottawa 5 years ago........now looking more into a bigger city.....More work.........specially my trade.
Ottawa is nice..............but notmy style of city....
Just my thoughts.....
any good areas to start looking at in the T dot area?
38G REEF

maitre007

It appears that I am a bit late to throw my 2 cents but ...

I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I think the minimum size of an aquarium is 55 gallons for african cichlids.  I recently tried to have some of the smaller african cichlids in a 30 gallon tank and I did not enjoy the dynamic of the aquarium.  

Once I combined the fishes that were in my 30 with those in my 55 , there was much greater harmony between the fishes.

I would also like to note that african cichlids are very messy fishes.  There is little nutritional value in their food and as such they eat a lot and create a lot of waste.  Therefore the natural environment is more swampish than the nice tidy aquariums that you see in magazine and in various competition.  

In short, african cichlid are absolutely entertaining and just as it is about time that i get a saltwater aquarium, i am glad to hear that you getting a cichlid tank even though it appears that you have chosen with a more south african theme.

it won't be long before you start noticing that the african ones are much more fascinating.

repeej

Is this thread about setting up a cichlid tank or living in T.O.?  Let's stay on topic shall we...

yellowtang

.....It was initially about setting a cichlid tank..........but since
I noticed Ucfx came from T.O I decided to ask some simple question about relocating to T.O.......
I see nothing wrong with asking out some other questions.......
but yes ....Lets stay on top of things which is cichlids.
we deff don't want to start a war about T.O...do we????
38G REEF