Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

where to buy dry fertilizers?

Started by featherfin, April 18, 2011, 05:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

featherfin

hi,

i've been reading the EI method for plant fertilizing but i've been unable to find any of the chemicals mentioned there anywhere in local stores and the ones i find on the internet won't ship to canada.

so, where would i be able to find KNO3 (apparently banned in canada?) and KH2PO4 (or equivalent ones)? i was hoping it would save me money in the long run to use them rather than the flourish line of NPk.

i'm very new to this and would very much appreciate any help.

HappyGuppy

Quote from: featherfin on April 18, 2011, 05:00:18 PM
hi,

i've been reading the EI method for plant fertilizing but i've been unable to find any of the chemicals mentioned there anywhere in local stores and the ones i find on the internet won't ship to canada.

so, where would i be able to find KNO3 (apparently banned in canada?) and KH2PO4 (or equivalent ones)? i was hoping it would save me money in the long run to use them rather than the flourish line of NPk.

Could someone PM him the phone number to Cal in Richmond?  Maybe to me too (I remember how to drive there, but have long since lost the number).

Cal sells these dry ferts.  Amazing stuff!

charlie

Quote from: featherfin on April 18, 2011, 05:00:18 PM
hi,

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=41283.0

featherfin

ah thanks for the help, i'll check out that place. :)

Jeff1192

I have found that lately B and B is hit and miss in terms of their stock levels. I found an on-line store that will ship to Canada. I'm planning on trying them the next time I need to restock my dry ferts.

http://aquariumfertilizer.com/index.asp

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

featherfin

Quote from: Jeff1192 on April 18, 2011, 08:15:54 PM
I have found that lately B and B is hit and miss in terms of their stock levels. I found an on-line store that will ship to Canada. I'm planning on trying them the next time I need to restock my dry ferts.

Jeff

yeah i looked that that site as well. i'll check out B&B but i may end up using them.

Taoism

Quote from: Jeff1192 on April 18, 2011, 08:15:54 PM

Jeff

Canadian Aquatics in BC also sells dry ferts by the lb.  I am thinking of ordering some from them for myself.

morrom

Hello,

I was at B&B about 2 weeks ago and they had every thing I wanted in stock KNO3, KH2PO4, and K2S04.
IMO stay local if you can.

dan2x38

B & Hydroponics and Cal are the best bet and no shipping.

If you are planning to start using EI dosing beware this method is suited for heavily planted tanks. You can end up with some serious algae issues if you do not have enough plants. Of course you can ramp up to EI dosing by using small doses over weeks and weeks until you have the heavy plat growth to utilize the ferts.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

magnosis

Quote from: dan2x38 on July 12, 2011, 01:23:55 PM
B & Hydroponics and Cal are the best bet and no shipping.

If you are planning to start using EI dosing beware this method is suited for heavily planted tanks. You can end up with some serious algae issues if you do not have enough plants. Of course you can ramp up to EI dosing by using small doses over weeks and weeks until you have the heavy plat growth to utilize the ferts.

+1

When I started EI on my 59g I used the suggested dosage for a 20g, then adjusted gradually based on what the plants where telling me.

jart

Keep in mind you may want to stick to a Canadian source. I did a bulk order through aquariumfertilizer.com and got totally screwed by customs.

daworldisblack

Quote from: jart on July 14, 2011, 11:33:56 PM
Keep in mind you may want to stick to a Canadian source. I did a bulk order through aquariumfertilizer.com and got totally screwed by customs.

How much Did you order and how much did customs charges come up to?

Quote from: charlie on April 18, 2011, 05:15:49 PM
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=41283.0

Looks like info got lost in the upgrade. If you could post details again that would be sweet :)

Thanks!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

jart

Not exactly sure, but I think I got dinged for about $25. In other words, shipping charges doubled (it was a group order of 18 pounds).

daworldisblack

Quote from: jart on November 30, 2011, 07:16:07 PM
Not exactly sure, but I think I got dinged for about $25. In other words, shipping charges doubled (it was a group order of 18 pounds).

Yikes.. $25 per person? Or $25 for the group order?
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!