Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Is bark on driftwood bad?

Started by featherfin, May 03, 2011, 03:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

featherfin

i remember hearing somewhere that bark is not good for aquariums, but i can't seem to find out exactly why that is... some people say the tannins lower pH (not necessarily a bad thing?), but aside from that i don't see what exactly is not good about it.

if i remove most of the bark from the wood and then boil and soak it until most of the tannins are out, will it harm the fish?

fischkopp

Yes and no. Yes, because bark deteriorates faster than wood and pollutes your water. Good, if you have fish that feeds on the bark. Some plecos, especially panaque, love it.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

robt18

Make sure you keep up with your water changes! And be sure that there aren't any bugs in it... it's easier to hide in the bark than the wood.

featherfin

okay thanks! i'll just be more careful with water quality.

@fischkopp: panaques are a little out of my price range  ;D

robt18

Royals aren't too expensive! Nice looking fish...

featherfin

from the little bit of looking i did on the internet, the blue eyed panaque was like 500-1200$! the royals are a much better price though  ;D